Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If someone is willing....

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by shane74, Sep 9, 2006.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

If someone is willing, we are willing to tackle an affordable SAS kit made in a timely manner for a reasonable price. Here is what we need,

Someone that is willing to provide me with dimensions and measurements and is willing to help out with some of the costs AFTER the kit is made and confirmation of shipping is provided. Now, as with all proto-type kits, it takes time and may take a little tweaking during installation to make it correct. I'll need someone that is willing to work with us, take LOTS of pics all the way through the project, and share information and findings so that we can produce a kit that we can put our warranty on. We may go through more than one design type to get it 100% correct, so we'll need patience on both ends and LOTS of communication.

As I said before, no $$ will be exchanged until the kit is ready to go. Expect delivery to take at least 30 days since we will need to work this into our shop schedule. If it can be done faster, it will.

Anyway...any SERIOUS takers? I don't want to put forth all the time, effort, and $$ just to be left holding the bag on our end w/ an unfinished project on the other.

If you want pics or references of our work on other projects, let me know. I will be happy to provide them.

Beater K20 - You seem to have gone through hell with your swap. Would you mind helping us out on this? I'll figure out some way to make it worth your while.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

fyi : shane is the sh!t. we built and tested the 14ff pop off disk brake brackets. thay are still going on my truck and its a dd. we hade 90% the first time out. then that 10% was handled the second hit . and it was just a clocking position problem and fine tune on the spacer thickness.

if i had more time and a extra truck to drive i would jump on this with him again. :waytogo:

3. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My truck is already SAS'd, so if you need anything in particular, I would be more than happy to take some measurments and do my best to get good pics. I don't have a good camera to get close ups.

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I'd volunteer my truck, but it's a DD and the SAS needs to be completely finished in 4 days max.

I do, however, have a set of ORU brackets sitting on the shop floor, and if you want some measurements off those, I'd be happy to get em.

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I have a bunch of dimensions already, but what I really need are;

1. A dead nutz frame width dimension.
    2. Spring spacing, what does everyone think would be the best to use?
    3. Rear shackle hanger, stock rear hanger (like on the rear springs?), or flat shackles?
    4. Spring width? What year springs to go with? The 73-87's or??
    5. Shock mounts, What would be the best way to mount them? How? Shock hoop w/ mounts off the axle? Or??

I need ideas here guys :)

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i have 2 trucks, a bare frame, and access to several more trucks for comparison purposes. what measurements do you need (what specific locations?

as for spring spacing, i would stick to 32.5" as they're more common than anything else.

flat shackles (for ease of adjustability)

i'd go with 3.5" to fit all springs, spacers can be used for 3" and 2.5" wide springs.

honestly, i'd stick with something simple and readily available for shock mounts. im planning on using the stock axle mounts on mine, with Ford towers.

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Watch out when making the front hangers, the frames are slightly rotated. meaing hte bottom of the rail is not parrelel to the ground,. this mean when you put a mount on it it will be twisted. i can give you an angle its off by so your mount can account for this. also i can get all frame widths. my build up is on this page, check it out and if you have any questions just ask;)

8. b454rat

I never noticed the frame being "twisted" like that. I have to take the ORU stuff off, so I can get you the measurements for the frame, and to verfiy the frame is twisted. As for the spring spacing stick with the GM and 78-79 Ford 32 1/2" or whatever it is. For the shocks, something that can utilize the upper shock mount. Not everyone needs a shock that has alot of travel to it. Back to the springs, 73-87 are stupid easy to find, and cheap. Not sure on the hangers and shackles. I've been trying to figure out something for the hangers, and so far the easiest is the stock front hangers for the rear springs. Stock type rear shackles are nice, as they are cheap and easy to get, and have some tunability to them, but might not be as strong. Anything else you know where to ask!!!!

9. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well I guess I'll be the odd one out here I'd like to se a kit for 36" axle pad spacing and that use's 56" springs and plate type shackles mines a burb and is sitting about 10 feet from me tell me what measurements you need :D

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I see the front spring mount as being VERY easy to make. I thnk the spring spacing would be easy to adjust as well. I may have a proto-type kits done in the next week or so. My neighbor has been letting me crawl around his rig to get measurements. He has no interest in the swap, but doesn't mind me crawiling around with a tape measure and lap top as I CAD stuff out. :D

11. b454rat

Making the springs adjustable to stock 48s or whatever to 52s and 56s would be sweet. The front is the easy part, but the rear can be a PITA. The rear mount is one of the reasons I did do the SAS on my 97. I have damn near all the peices to do it, but I would have to cut the exhaust off to get the brackets on, and they it would be in the way, and no one around here can do much of anything to 3" exhaust.

12. 1967k10

1967k10 1/2 ton status

This is great more SAS kits :D. Now I need an excuse and more $$$$ to get a couple more trucks to play with :D .

13. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Ok, I think I got the front hanger pretty much nailed using the 32.5" spacing and 73-87 GM springs. I am working on the rear shackle mounts. I'm not sure exactly how they are going to work, but I am close to pricing. I am thinking I'll be able to do the front hanger, rear shackle mounts (plate style),bushings, hardware, and shackles for $250 - $275 per kit. Not firm yet, but close.

14. b454rat

Not a bad deal at all. Any pics yet??

15. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Nothing I'll admit to yet :D It's a proto-type, so it's got more boogers on it than my neighbors snotty nosed 3 year old.

I hope to have pics of a finished kit within the next couple weeks. I'll cut someone a smokin' deal on it if they are willing to help me tweak it to perfection :wink1:

16. b454rat

Lemme know what you need!!!!

17. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

i beleive id be willing to help but i wont be ready to swap till may or so

18. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Tons of install photos, help with install instructions/tips/tricks, a lot of communication and details/dimensions if anything needs to be changed to make it 100% correct out of the box so to speak.

19. b454rat

Can't help too much on the pics, crappy disposable camera. Somewhere I had the dimenstions for the frame up front, in the rear section, but can't find it now. I was gonna take the stuff to a friend that works at a metal shop to have him make something, as I don't have a welder yet. Depending on what time I get out tomorrow, I can get those measurements for you. One thing that ticked me off about the ORU kit, where the rear spring mount for the driver's side bolts on, it covers up the hole for the shifter, where it mounts to the frame, and goes to the tranny. I can't discribe anything to save my life.....

20. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I have been pulling a lot of dimensions off my buddies '97 burb. I'll take a look at it see if there is a decent work around for it.