Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If this chit trickles down to Texas…

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Larry_in_Tx, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

…they probably wouldn’t let me ride a skateboard to work. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

story

Man Loses License After Telling Doctor He Drinks Beer

Doctors Must Report Impairments That May Compromise Driving
    POSTED: 8:22 am EDT August 18, 2004

HARRISBURG -- Just telling a doctor how much you drink at home may be enough to get your driver's license suspended in Pennsylvania.

A judge has ruled that the state can suspend the driver's license of a man who told his doctor he drank a six-pack of beer a day.

Keith Emerich disclosed his drinking habit while being treated for an irregular heartbeat. Two months later, he was notified that his license was being recalled for medical reasons related to substance abuse.

A Pennsylvania law dating back to the 1960s requires doctors to report any impairments that could compromise their patients' ability to drive safely.
    Emerich says he doesn't drive drunk.
    The judge did say Emerich can have restricted driving privileges if he gets a device that won't let him start his car without passing a breath test.
    Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Typical Yankee BS. In the South, a six pack a day is mandatory, or you lose your hunting license. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Never trust a man that doesn't drink. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

John

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Someone needs to order up an a** whupp'in for that doc...............

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I used to drink more than twice that much a day.... /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gifAnd that would indeed determine my need to drink more and run the Dr.s ass over.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

whole thing reeks of the "thought police" /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

As much as this pisses me off too, my wife (a doctor) points out that if he admitted that he drinks a 6 pack a day, most likely he is drinking much more, and the doctor most likely knew this to be the truth. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

The point is not how much he drinks but whether or not he drives after drinking. The Dr. has no way of knowing this and no business assuming that he drives after these six (or 26 for that matter) beers.

It's really irrelevant how much he drinks as long as he is doing it in his home and not behind the wheel.

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

agree, as long as he's not driving drunk

but on the same note, if that law were true texas would have half as many people on the street. In this college town I hear about DWI and DUI like they were parking tickets.

9. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

Lubbock....
    Still the number 2 school for std's as well?????

Is the death of FREEDOM creeping even closer? or is it just a hieghtened sense of awareness?

Personally, after everything you see in construction, just a 6 pack or more is a relief.

to bad big brother can't help the people who "unwind" by teaching thier families the finer points of a slap versus a fist.

10. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Trust me, laws like that really do piss me off. The bad thing is that the state has such a ridiculous law and the doctor is not the problem. The doctor needs to protect himself and follow the laws to prevent an even more ridiculous lawsuit if the guy were to hurt someone drinking and driving.