Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

if u were going to rebiuld a 305..what would you do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Dec 26, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok..like the question says...if you were to biuld a 305 for a little more power than stock..mainly a little more getup and go, and more low end torq, what would u do? i know i know, biuld a 350 instead..why waste the time with a 305?...well its sittin here, and ive never rebiult a engine befor..(just small lawn mower ones) and i figure it would be something neat to learn from. so please just tell me what U would do if you were rebiulding this 305. just looking for ideas...i dont know much about rebiulding engines at all so.. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would stroke the motor with a 350 crank and that would really help make a torquyer small cubed motor. Put a mild cam in it like a comp 260H or probably a little smaller would be better. Some 350 heads with the 1.94intake valves would be the cheapest route and flow ok for a little motor like that. I actually thought about doing the same thing instead of building my current 406 but only for one reason and that was less cubes for better fuel mileage.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Weld a chain to the block and sell it as an anchor. Then build a 350.

Seriously, there isn't much point wasting time or money on a 305 when 350's are so cheap and plentiful.

Rene

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

350 and 305 use the same stroke...305 uses a 3.76" bore instead of 4.00. Both use a 3.48" stroke.

Rene

5. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    350 and 305 use the same stroke...305 uses a 3.76" bore instead of 4.00. Both use a 3.48" stroke.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]
    oops, I forgot about that, It's been a while since I have looked at a bore and stroke chart... He could use a 400 crank and make a 334 or something and have the block clearenced for the crank.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

personally i would ditch it in favor of a 350 or 400, although i have had one or two really super nice running 305 in the past, one was stock rebuilt and i swear was as powerful as the 355 i put in place of it in the same truck, but if you must build a 305, i would go with 350 cam and stock 58cc heads ported and some 69 z28 302 springs and keepers and umbrella seals and it wil be an HO 305 that was L69 RPO code

7. rjfguitar

http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/343hp305.html
    I agree also to go up to a 350, 383, or 400 if you can find one. Much more power can be made with those other motors but If power isn't your main concern then check out the link.

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt waste my money on a 305. Buy a nice GM 330 horse 350 and call it good. I think that would be the best bang for that truck.

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i dont even know what HO stands for, ive seen it all the time.. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

the only reason i was thinking about this is becuase its right there already...and does need a rebiuld, and would be hard to sell like that..IF i even could..personally i dont know what the power difference feels like between a 305 and 350 as ive never drivin a 305 powerd vehicle /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif the blazer its in..i never drove

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

nono, see i dont really need the moter..im just thinking about it as a learning experience..and perhaps using the moter sometime down the line if i ever needed it, or just for the hell of it..im not looking to spend bug money either..this wouldnt happen till i sold my truck and got my s-10 all situated and on the road and had some extra $$ to play with either...just loking to do a basic rebiuld, freshin the moter up, and perhaps add a few goodies along the way like a cam, intake,carb, maybe heads..i dunno..but of course it would have to be the right cam/heads/intake and all that..thats why i ask u guys...

11. 00silverstreak

00silverstreak Registered Member

hmm If i were to rebuild a 305, what would I do?

Regret it!

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif...i dunno maybe i dont hate them so much becuase ive never had much experince at all with one..

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i dont even know what HO stands for, ive seen it all the time..

[/ QUOTE ] High Output

14. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Its just not cost effective. 305 and 350 use all the same parts except pistons, so why not build a 350? There aren't as many options for 305 pistons anyway.

I say whatever your budget is for the 305 rebuild, take that <font color="green"> $$$ </font> and put it towards a nitrous kit. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gifPut the nitrous on the 305 and there is your learning experience. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The only thing I'd consider if rebuilding a 305 would be a slightly different cam, a different intake perhaps, and headers.

The 305 has some real problems when it comes to performance mods, and although it can be done, it can't be done nearly as cheaply as a 350 can.

More HP is easy, but to get it anywhere near what a "mild" 350 will do, would take more time, more money, and not have anywhere near the road manners the "same" 350 would have. I know people that have spent a fair amount of money and time on small CID GM V8's, but it's a lot of money for not nearly as much gain as someone see's with a 350+ CID motor.

Don't think rebuilding a motor makes it worth more, ESPECIALLY a 305. Buddy had a perfect running 1986 HO 305 (1986 Monte SS) that anyone that wanted to, could here run in the car, and had no takers for over a month, advertised in a national (but also large scale local) trader magazine. $300 OBO.

Besides, when dealing with a motor from Joe Schmoe, most people won't trust you as far as they can throw you. Ask anyone thats bought a couple of "good" trannies or engines how many of those were actually "good". The majority of people are honest, but if I'm going to spend $700+ on a "new" motor, I certainly wouldn't buy it from an individual I don't know, and have little, if any, legal recourse with if something goes wrong with it. $200, I might take my chances (and have) but anything over that, no way.

If you wanted to use it and a 305 suits you fine, sure, do an almost completely stock rebuild on it. But just look at the Chev 307's and their popularity to see what company the 305 is in.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    hmm If i were to rebuild a 305, what would I do?

Regret it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking shoot myself, but same difference. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

17. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am with the other guys here ,Find a good 350 or 400 and work with that.There is no substitute for Cubic inches /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

I have rebuilt a 305 for someone once, he didnt have money to upgrade to a 350 block at the time. The best thing you can do is put flat top pistons, mild cam and stock 305 heads on it then try to sell it as stock. The engines are dogs, worse engine ever produced by chevrolet IMO. But i must say i rebuilt the 305 probly 10 or more years ago and she's still going strong, probably due to the fact that she dont have enough HP To hurt herself....lol
    I would suggest you buy a 350 block for an additional 50 bucks or so and build that! I have even had a truck with a vortec 305 and it was gutless compared to a stock newer non vortec 350. whatever you decide.....Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

seen something once for race cars where they use a new 283 crank in a 305 with flattops and stock rods and they run something like 7000-8000RPM on those motors. Might be something interesting to look into. Probley wouldn't have great torque but hell if your somewhat idling at 3500RPM so what /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    seen something once for race cars where they use a new 283 crank in a 305 with flattops and stock rods and they run something like 7000-8000RPM on those motors. Might be something interesting to look into. Probley wouldn't have great torque but hell if your somewhat idling at 3500RPM so what /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]That would be a 283 crank in a 327. It's what the factory did in 1969 to make the Chevy 302. They tore up the tracks in the Z28 Camaros.