Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

if you bought a music cd between 1995 and 2000.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by eds77k5, Jan 9, 2003.

1. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

you may be entitled to a $20 cash settlement, dont know if this has been covered before but you can go to http://www.musiccdsettlement.com and make a claim and get all the info /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

I filled it out. I wonder how they are going to verify that all of us actually did purchase CDs and how much to award each individual? Tracking debit and credit card numbers? Seems like they're in for alot of work. What the heck though, twenty bucks is twenty bucks. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

you might get some free cd's at least /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Soooo......... What is the settlement for??? I can't seem to find it anywhere...

5. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I hate to offend anyone but why just jump on the band wagon??? Did this company wrong you in some way?? This sounds like another frivolous lawsuit like the guy that sued McDonalds because he was obese.

Junk lawsuits exact a heavy financial toll from each and every American /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif, efficiently siphoning wealth from hard working American /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif families and redistributing the assets into the overflowing coffers of the super rich trial lawyers. Every loaf of bread we buy, every gallon of gas we pump and even the clothes on our backs come with an additional cost thanks to lawyers. Lawyers routinely sue companies who in turn pass the litigation costs on down the line to their customers /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. Who ultimately ends up paying the piper? You and me, that’s who! We all pay - and we all lose.
    /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Meritorious cases, those legitimate claims filed by people who deserve to collect for their injuries, can often take years to wind their way through the muddled, chaotic and busting at the seams court system. The deserving folks are put on the back burner and forced to wait their turn in line behind innumerable frivolous lawsuits, which are nothing more than lightly veiled blackmail attempts to squeeze money from an assortment of defendants. This kind of reprehensible lawsuit abuse is wrong, is immoral and needs to be changed.

Twenty dollars here and twenty dollars there will add up over time. Where do you suppose the money will come from?? From the deep pockets of CD music companies /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif.................NO. The money will come from the insurance underwriters /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif. That is why OUR insurance rates, Mortgage rates, and product prices are always climbing. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I for one will not sign up to receive benefits that I do not deserve. Sorry for the rant. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

yes what he said /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a scam to me. WTF do they need the last 4 digits of your SSN for? Just sign here and you'll get $20... sure... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

it was in a news article, they were price fixing, and for that, yes, they should pay legitimate consumers of their product, it would seem that big corporations can screw anybody they want and get away with it

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

CD's are way over priced. I went to Tower and they wanted $22 for a new replease? WTF, uh no. I don't doubt they have screwed over people. I just think that this doesn't seem right. Something just seems fishy about the questions they ask in order to get it...

11. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I think its legit. I keep hearing the ads for it on my XM Satellite radio.

12. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I hate to offend anyone but why just jump on the band wagon??? Did this company wrong you in some way?? This sounds like another frivolous lawsuit like the guy that sued McDonalds because he was obese.

Junk lawsuits exact a heavy financial toll from each and every American , efficiently siphoning wealth from hard working American families and redistributing the assets into the overflowing coffers of the super rich trial lawyers. Every loaf of bread we buy, every gallon of gas we pump and even the clothes on our backs come with an additional cost thanks to lawyers. Lawyers routinely sue companies who in turn pass the litigation costs on down the line to their customers . Who ultimately ends up paying the piper? You and me, that&amp;#8217;s who! We all pay - and we all lose.

Meritorious cases, those legitimate claims filed by people who deserve to collect for their injuries, can often take years to wind their way through the muddled, chaotic and busting at the seams court system. The deserving folks are put on the back burner and forced to wait their turn in line behind innumerable frivolous lawsuits, which are nothing more than lightly veiled blackmail attempts to squeeze money from an assortment of defendants. This kind of reprehensible lawsuit abuse is wrong, is immoral and needs to be changed.

Twenty dollars here and twenty dollars there will add up over time. Where do you suppose the money will come from?? From the deep pockets of CD music companies .................NO. The money will come from the insurance underwriters . That is why OUR insurance rates, Mortgage rates, and product prices are always climbing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree with you more. This country is so sue happy. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif In the end it does come out of our pockets or ends up causing us more hassles .

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

I second the second guy who seconed that statement....
    its not worth 2 bones to me.
    i have had over 5k in CD's stolen. me 3k and my wife 2500. i know how expensive CD's are. but it still is not woth it to me.
    Grant

14. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

15. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Well look at it this way. How much in music dollar wise have we all taken from the internet or copied from a friend instead of going out and buying it? How much do you think the record companies and the like have lost since the day Napster was born? A lot more then 20 dollars worth for each of us. They can keep the money.

16. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The Plaintiffs have alleged in two separate amended complaints that the Defendants conspired to illegally fix and control the pricing of Music Products sold to consumers through Defendant Distributors’ adoption and utilization of Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) programs in violation of the Sherman Act, state antitrust and unfair competition and/or consumer protection laws. The Plaintiffs have further alleged that as a result of the conspiracy residents of the Plaintiff States and members of the Plaintiff Settlement Class have been injured by paying more for Music Products than they would have paid in the absence of the illegal conduct. The Defendants have denied and continue to deny each and all of the claims and contentions alleged by the Plaintiffs and any violation of law. The Court has not made any determination as to the merits of any of the claims or defenses of the parties to this Litigation.

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Well, it's been stated that it only takes a couple $$$ to make a CD, and then the companies turn around and charge us more, something from $12 to $19 is what I've paid for a single CD. Now I don't really agree with the prices, so I don't buy a heck of a lot of CDs, maybe a couple a year. But they can do it cause it's called capitalism and that's what made America great. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

the article said that it is walmarts fault, so i guess walmart gets the blame again /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    the article said that it is walmarts fault, so i guess walmart gets the blame again

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, I'm sure this is where the takedown of Wal-mart begins since they are anti-union and a lot of people in this country want to change that.

20. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

... why don't you all send 20 dollars to me (cash only) and I'll make sure you never see it again! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif