Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If you change a yoke on a front Dana 60...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Apr 22, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

... could you explain to me the negative effects (if any) of a person just zipping off the nut, pulling the yoke and putting another yoke on, then tightening the nut back on?

(I'm no gear expert, but aren't there issues of "pre-load" and stuff that need to be addressed when doing this?)

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

if you measure your preload first and then get it the same with a new yolk you should be fine. But if the new yolk is to much different in size you will have to get a new crush sleve

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I don't think there is a crush sleave in the dana 60, just shims.

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have a 60 front that a friend used to own. They put a larger yoke on it. Right now, I can take the yoke and wobble the pinion gear around.

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

There is no crush cleeve in a 60 front, just shims. There *should* be no problem with zipping the nut off like you said. As long as the new one get's torqued back to the same place as the old one. Can you tighten the nut on the loose yoke any further? If not, then the new, bigger yoke is different than the one used to set up the gears originally. Or the bearings are shot of course.

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Correct. Also, pinion preload is determined by shims. You can take off the yoke, and put the new one on, making it as tight as you can, use loctite.

7. Michk5

Michk5 1/2 ton status

Misawa Japan until December...moving to Wichita Ka
    So if I wanted to change to a larger yoke (1410) I wouldn't have a problem (on a dana 60)?? It seems like I heard before that it was more complicated than this...maybe it was the 14 bolt they were talking about. I think the 14 bolt uses a crush gasket right???? So with the crush gasket you would have to masure preload:confused: ?

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

Correct, its that easy. Yes the 14b does use a crush sleeve. Your supposed to crush the sleeve and measure the preload, which I always have done by feel. Even then you could pull the sub carrie out, take it to a shop and im sure they will do it for you free of charge, we would anyway.

9. GMC

GMC 1/2 ton status

Does the D70 have no crush sleeve either? Thanks.

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

What year? The newer ones do. I dont know specifically what year. You could call up a place like West Coast Differentials (800-510-0950) and they'll tell you if it does or not.