Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If you ever wonderd "How many airsoft pellets does it take.........."

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Jul 31, 2005.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The nuke in me did some calculations for the required # of air soft pellets for balancing tires. I read someone here had no luck with using them and was wondering if they did not use enough. These things weigh nothing at all. The regular density pellets weigh in at a wopping .12 grams with the High density pellets weigh in at an astronomical .2 grams. :eek1:

The math I came up with is 28.375 grams/ounce.

That means regular density pellets=237 pellets/ounce
    and
    High Density pellets=142 pellets/ounce.

I plan on using one 2000 pellet pack of high density pellets per tire which will put me just shy of 14oz per tire and will only cost around $30.

Just thought it might be useful. :crazy:

Ira

Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

he he... might as well go with equal as it would cost about the same....
    grant

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

When you get new tires can you recover the equal? I dont know plus I have heard it clumps, it doesnt clump gotta have filtered valve cores blah blah blah. I just put it out cause I saw a lot of questions being asked lately. I made up my mind to use these or BBs but I like the fact that these are not metal.

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I am running the dense air soft pellets (0.2g) and have no complaints. I measured/bought them by weight, I wasn't about to count the friggin things. I doubt you could honestly feel a difference very easily at .12g each.

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ya I am not counting them either. They come in packages of 2000 pellets which is roughly 14oz. It is a little much for my tire size (37s) but I dont think it will matter.

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

why is everyone talking about equal and bb's these days? it costs next to nothing to have each tire balanced at a shop anyway lol

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Because when you go wheeling and loose a weight you have to have them redone. Not to mention periodically as they wear they need to be rebalanced. With dynamic balancing with equal or bbs or pellets what ever you use the tire will always be balanced even if you loose one complete lug in theory.

8. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

HIJACK

There's nothing more dangerous than a bored nuc. MM1 (SS) Heckman here, former LELT on the USS Florida Gold crew. What boat are you on Chief?

END HIJACK

9. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

ah i see. i was kinda almost thinking that but am really tired today so not as sharp ;) thanks. sounds like a good idea for wheeling. :waytogo:

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh, we mounted 4 38" SSRs today. Each called for 14-16 oz(well 3 did, one was like 6 :rolleyes: ). We didn't have nearly taht much in the way of stick on weights. Heck we didn't have enough to do one tire let alone all 4. Equal or some other in tire would have been best, but everyone(except the teacher who knew the stuff works) thought I was joking or crazy, and we didn't have the time. I need to get some tires for the S10 soon, mount them on the Hummer rims, throw some golf balls in and actually balance them like that, show people it works.

11. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the calculations!

This is a cheaper alternative to dyna beads at www.innovativebalancing.com I was thinking a bout getting them to help tame my 39.5 tsls.

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I was on the USS Houston out of San Diego but now I am at Submarine Squadron Eleven. I will be going to the USS Roosevelt CVN-71 after my commission in April 2006. She is in Norfolk VA. Oh I am a MMC by the way NON-elt :D

What part of Colorado are you in?

My little bro is at Fort Carson.

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

crazy ass bubble heads,
    no thanks :D

14. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I work at a shop and hate to balance my tires. It doesn't help anyway cause every time you wheel on them you chunk a lug or spin the wheel (easily done even with 15" wheels) and there goes a good 40 minutes of my day to get them to balance out again. After 37" tires balancing with wieghts is useless IMO.

15. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

wouldnt golf balls make noise?

balzer

16. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

I'm in Colorado Springs, so your bro and I are neighbors. I didn't figure you were an elt, most elt's get tossed back into the mdiv pool once they make chief. Congrats on your commision! I guess that explains why you're headed to a bird farm, huh?

17. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i read somewhere that they wont appear to balance out on a machine. i dont know though.

18. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Keep in mind that the weight is far more effective inside the tire than it is on the rim. So when a balancer calls for 6oz on the rim, you might only need 1-2 oz inside the tire.

Also, there isn't any real disadvantage to putting too much in, except for cost. The excess pellets will just distribute themselves evenly around the tire. After a point, you would be adding a lot of rolling inertia, but that would be with a really extreme amount of product to be noticeable.

19. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Balls

I just caught this thread and was gonna point you all to a Thread that was running a couple of weeks ago about the golf balls as balancing but the little sled-dog beat me to it! I was amazed at the widespread use of the golf-ballsand there was a whole long list of support for them over the Equal stuff, and pellets.

20. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The main reason I have decided to use pellets is that they will disperse more evenly around the entire tread surface. I will have 2000 in each tire rather than 4-5 golf balls. Will it really make that much of a difference? Probably not but to each his own. Also for my application I believe it is cheaper than equal and I feel I will be able to recover the pellets when I change tires.