Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If You Had 1,000-1,300 Dollars To Spend

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1986chevy_rider, Nov 28, 2005.

1. 1986chevy_rider

1986chevy_rider Registered Member

What would you do if you had 1000-1300 dollars to spend on a 1986 chevy k-10 with half ton axels and old wore out 36" gumbo mudders with a fairly decent 6 inch super lift. Its also got a great 383 stroker that has about 3000 to 5000 miles on it. and a 465 tranny with a 308 x-case that is kind of wore out i think the thing makes a crazy knocking noise in four wheel drive. the other thing is that the drive shafts are stock. WHAT SHOULD I DO??? PLEASE HELP WITH SOME OF THE MONEY I AM THINKING OF GETTIN SOME 36" IROK SUPER SWAMPERS BIAS PLY.

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Put the $$ in the bank and wait for something to break. When it does, fix/replace it.

3. 1986chevy_rider

but i need tires bad

what should i do in this case they sat on truck and didnt move for 9 months from what i was told

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

First thing I would do is determine what type of wheeling I was actually going to do (not what everyone else is running). Once you determine that considering the price of new tires could easily take that whole amount of money. I would look on ck5 as well as locally for some good used tires. Just make sure they are worn evenly and at a descent price. If you find them then take the extra money and fix the tcase. If not bite the bullet and buy new tires.

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I would make sure that everything mechanically is in good condition before bying the tires. No fun in having new tires on a truck with a busted transfer case. After you take care of that buy the tires.

6. 1986chevy_rider

Yeah True

Here is my thing. Its a daily driver as well as an extreme off road truck

7. The Butcher

The Butcher 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Then I wouldn't get bias-ply IROKs. If it is a DD, get a radial tire. Swamper SSR, BFG Mud, TOYO M/T, Goodyear MTR, etc., etc..

And like someone else said, it wouldn't do you much good to have great tires if your xfer case is busted. Get that fixed, then get some decent tires. Shop around and find the best deal you can. 4wheel parts was having a BFG promotion about 6 months ago and I got a set of 33" Muds for $600 mounted and balanced. I bet 35" would be about $700 with that promotion. Shop around between different tire stores, and make them give you the best deal possible. They love trying to beat each others prices!

8. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Fix the T-case, then swap out to 3/4ton or one ton axles. Otherwise if you switch to 36" and have a heavy foot with the 383, you could end up breaking the 10 bolts. It won't take up all 1300 if you only go 3/4ton, but then you'll have to change to 8lug wheels, unless you go 14BSF 6lug. Good luck. You can always send me what's left over. :wink1: