Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If you had to choose between these two trucks.... *help*

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Pookster, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Ok, while helping my friend look for a new (used) truck, I'm swaying him over to the GM side. He wants a diesel no less. So im looking.. and what od I find?

86 chevy 2500 burb. 6.2. (2wd I think) auto.

and a 92 ext cab 6.5 (not sure if its TD). 4x4. 5spd

im swaying toward the 92- what are your opinions? I've always wanted a pickup. But then again, I've always wanted a burb. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    i've read all the posts I could find, the 92 is so appealing- mechanical injector, and no ECU to control the tranny. (since its manual!).

Anything in particular I should look for when I go look at the truck? I mean, I know how to look for the usual truck stuff, and im sure I can figure out of the tranny is toast, or the rear end is clunking.. other than that... opinions?

Lets just say I found the truck for sale at around 2500 bucks... and the burb for about 1500...

and please, dont say get both. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't even have to think about it. Get the 6.5L truck! That's an excellent price. Does it have really high mileage?

It should be a turbo diesel. I don't think they put any n/a 6.5L engines in the pickups. I could be wrong about that. At any rate, that particular 6.5L is a good block to start with. Should be the desired 599 block, one of the best made by GM. It was the block that was shared between the 6.2L and 6.5L during the transition years. A 599 6.2L block can be bored out to 6.5L dimensions.

The 92-93 6.5L trucks are the best, no electronic injection pumps!

Good luck!

Casey

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

aww, thanks for the blessing! I was so excited, I left a message for the guy at like 9:30am

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

92 was also the intro year for the NV4500. 6.34:1 granny first and a .73:1 OD 5th...as stout as the SM465. IIRC the 6.5TD was rated at 190 hp and 400+ lbs of torque too.

The only downside is the IFS.

I'd buy them both and swap the drivetrains...have a 86 Sub (3/4 ton diffs) with the 6.5 TD and NV4500. Put the 6.2 and 700R4 into the 92 and flog it off. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

Rene

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

WEll, i got good news and bad news:

Went to go see the truck- It has 220k on it, but on a new motor at 180kish. Mostly new suspension parts, new clutch , and also some internals. Rides great, shifts wonderfully.

Bad parts- Its acutally a 92 with a 6.2, non turbo. Its body isnt all that purty, it has a lot of dents- but the frame is straight, and there isnt any rust, which is surpring. The engine bay is farkin clean, like we're talking you can still see the baby blue engine block, new MC, and what looks to be new belts and hoses.

Other unfortunates: its a 14bsf rear. It has some weird "coyboy conversion" to it. The interior is a little beat, will be looking for a donor.

Bright side, I paid 2500 bucks for it, which I think was a pretty good deal.

Any other comments? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. tRustyK5

Does it have the NV4500?

Rene

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Should be the desired 599 block, one of the best made by GM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Has anyone tried "turboing" their NA 6.2/6.5 with 6.5TD parts? (While retaining the mechanical pump, of course /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Nice thing is the 14bFFs from the 1-tons (in this body style) are a bolt-in.

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I believe so- I didnt get down and dirty to check. But I know it had a really really low first gear, and it is a 5 speed. Im just going to assume it is a sm4500, unless there is some easy way to tell when I get it.

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Of the two possible 5-speeds...

Cast iron with separate aluminum bellhousing indicates a nv4500. All aluminum case with integral bellhousing indicates a Getrag. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Has anyone tried "turboing" their NA 6.2/6.5 with 6.5TD parts? (While retaining the mechanical pump, of course /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I installed a '88 N/A 6.2 inplace of a '93 6.5TD. Used short style injectors. Oil feed from turbo came from oil sender location. Everything else was bolt-on.

11. tRustyK5

The Getrag doesn't have a granny low first gear...it's geared the same as a car 5 speed.

If it has a creeper gear and it's 5 speed it should be the intro year NV4500 with the 6.34:1 first gear.

Rene

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

What the hell is a coyboy conversion???

13. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Should be the desired 599 block, one of the best made by GM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, now the only problem is that it's not the orignal motor, so it's hard to say what vintage the block is.

Still sounds like a good deal though! And yes, with that body style, the 6.5L turbo system should be a drop-in, bolt-on easy upgrade! I bet for $500, you can have a TD in that sucker!

Casey

14. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

wacky wood trim interior. Some super high polished wood trim headconsole, with built in drop down CB slot.