Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If you Had to pick an engine

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Saxwonder84, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Saxwonder84

Saxwonder84 1/2 ton status

I need despreatly to upgrade my dying engine, but I want something bigger. Being a college student money is tight but I don't mind saving for awile. So what do you guys think would be the best bang for my buck? Engine size and so forth. Thanks

2. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

454, let me say that again,

Even got a low mileage 454 I'll sell ya for $700, complete minus the power steering pump.

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

just depnds on what you have to start with. odds are it is a 305. cheapest thing to do is get an overhaul kit and be done with it. or go to GM and pick up a crate motor and slap it in(way less time then messing with the old one)

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

a healthy 350 or a stock 454...

I went with a warmed over 454 and have never been happier..

Chris

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

after reading your post again...best bang for you buck

a late-model 454 with about some mileage that has been taken car of...you could find one for around $1200 complete (at least I did) and running..put it in and run it...

Chris

6. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i went with a 383... about 2600 for the long block Oil pan to intake.. Went with the Edelbrock RPM Air gap should be around 420 horse +420 ftlbs......... Aproxx

then just use all the stuff on your motor water pump, alt, ps pump... might want a newer Distributor... Rebuild your carb, maybe put some bigger jets in it... of course there are odds and ends, but you should be good to go...

7. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

tyhink caddy500, usually about 500 bones - Ebay /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

8. Saxwonder84

wanted the caddy but hated the cost. To rebuild one well and get it in was looking like $2000. Where can I find a 454?

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

"If you Had to pick an engine"

If I absolutely had to, then I think I could be forced into one of these...

GM Performance Parts Crate Engine ZZ502

[​IMG]

Horsepower: 502

Torqe: 567 Ft. Lbs.

10. Saxwonder84

Well unfortunatly it doesn't jive with my college budget
    Still wondering if any one knows where I can get a decent 454?

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

350 or 383 with a roller valve train, TPI, as much of a torque cam as you can get away with, nice flowing heads, Thorley Tri-Y headers, dual 2.25" exhaust, etc.

I have TPI and love it. My next motor will probably be something along the lines of what is above. A healthy motor with fuel injection.

Harley

12. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Your cheapest bet for a 454 is to buy a rebuild-able 454 core for the best deal you can find, go to a mail order company like this http://www.pawengineparts.com/ for a rebuild kit, then take the block, heads, crank, rods, new pistons, and piston rings to a machine shop to have the machining done, and bolt together the engine yourself.

13. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Did anybody say it had to be a gas engine? Get an oil burner! Well there is that small complication of the gas/diesel swap, but worth it for a DD. And you're in Texas, no need for a block heater. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gorrilla posted that he had one for sale above, am I missing something or did you overlook it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

15. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

I found a 454 up here it was in a el camino payed 500 for the whole car runs great (just had to put in a fuel pump) /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gifwas going to rip it out and throw it in the truck then i realized that it is a 73 ss and all the numbers match came with a 400 too so now i don't think i want to tear into it might be worth something /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    still have to look into it
    sometimes you never know what you'll find /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

A 454 around here will bring 500 easy,even if it barely runs,anything with no holes in the block is like gold--I have seen a few bargains on big blocks at salvage yards in the C60 and larger dump trucks and box trucks--seems people dont care for the "tall deck"motors,or perhaps they think they are all 366's--I pointed a guy at one salvage yard toward a C60 truck that came from my town's DPW fleet when he said he was looking for ANY big block--a few minites later,the engine was on the ground---he scraped the grease off the engine codes and it was all zero's except the last 3 digits that were hand stamped into he block,they matched the trucks VIN # last 3 digits.Then he wiped off the valve covers,and a sticker appeared from under the grease--"Targetmaster 454"---the casting numbers on the bellhousing side confirmed it WAS a 454!! Evidently it had been replaced--the truck came with a 366.The yard sold him the motor for 200 bucks because someone left the hood open,and a little water came out of the intake when they pulled it.The guy had it running later tht day on his trailer---he didnt even buy me a beer! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    I look at every P series bread truck that comes in now too--I saw one go right in the crusher that I KNOW had a 454 in it--the loader operator said,"those things dont come with big blocks----do they????" /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifYES!! They Do! and the come with cummings diesels too,I told him.He said,"Well,there all junk to me!"and in it went. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Another source of free 454's is to look for an old motor home--they have a hard time scrapping them,most yards here wont take them even if you are willing to pay--and many of the people who own them dont even know what size motor is in it!~.Its a bitch to get rid of the rest of the motorhome though,uless you can reduce it to metal pile size scraps and cash it in--alot of work,I've done it twice. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

17. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    Even got a low mileage 454 I'll sell ya for $700, complete minus the power steering pump.

[/ QUOTE ]
    look at the first post! shoot him a pm /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Did anybody say it had to be a gas engine? Get an oil burner! Well there is that small complication of the gas/diesel swap, but worth it for a DD. And you're in Texas, no need for a block heater. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO! Swap in a diesel. A 6.5 would work, a 6.2 would work, and a Cummins 4bt would work. There was just recently a 6.5 TD in the paper here for $600, complete running. I would have been all over it had it not been an electronic motor. 6.2's and 6.5's have a bad rap because of the old 5.7 diesel, so a lot of people will get rid of them for cheap.

19. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

lots of power a little expenceive and it might be a little big but a moter from overseas might do the trick:

[​IMG]

20. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Now THATS what I call a BIGBLOCK!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif