Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If you have a 700R4 & 205 please read this.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIGJ, May 12, 2003.

1. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I checked the oil in my t-case the other day, and it was obvious the transmission was leaking into the t-case. I have a 700R4 w/a 205. I have already changed the seals in the 205 adapter once, just last month when I noticed the same problem. Those seals had been in the adapter for several years, and I figured they were worn out. These new ones were less than two months old. After the first seal change, I didn't have any overflow problem. But, after a few weeks of wheeling, it's leaking again. Am I missing something? Is there a seal at the end of the 700R4 that I might have missed? I thought that the seals in the 205 adapter were supposed to stop this? My adapter is the older version with the large bearing, and two seals. There is no groove on the adapter where the seals have been rubbing either. Any ideas?

BIGJ

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Calling all 700R4 gurus

Dunno if you missed any seal, not familiar with that setup, but did you lube the seals with grease before final assembly? I neglected that step on my pinion seal replacement, and two weeks later I was replacing a brand new, leaking pinion seal.

3. BIGJ

Re: Calling all 700R4 gurus

Yeah, I "thought" I lubed em' up pretty good. I guess I'll overdo it when I put the new ones on this time.

I'm just wondering if anyone else with this setup is having the same problem. Any one else got any ideas?

BIGJ

4. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Your 700R4 has a vent on it just like the t-case. Make sure it is not plugged with dirt or something. Believe it or not, but it can produce enough pressure to force the thinner, lighter ATF to the T-Case.

5. BIGJ

Now that's something I didn't think about. Thanks Layne.

BIGJ

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Here is what I do, take the coller out of the adapter and put in the orings use diffrent orings to get a good seal on the shaft. I try to "blow through" the adapter shaft with my mouth. When a good seal is made you will not be able to blow through. The seals that are called for to use on the adapter have never worked for me. I have always had to use a "bulk" style of seal.
    I haven't had any leaks as of yet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think ntaj*ep meant there is a O ring on the input for the transfer case. By the way you where posting, I take it you don't know about this O-ring. Take the adapter and drive coller off and see if the O-ring is the input shaft. If not, there is a big groove where the O-ring goes. BTW, this groove is a weak link in TH-350/205 transfer case. I tristed one input shaft right where the O-ring goes.

8. BIGJ

I do know about the o-ring unfortunately. I changed it along with the seals. I'm now thinking I should have gone with a slightly thicker o-ring instead of the factory replacement.

This is why I'm stumped. I replaced everything in the adapter, and it still dumped tranny fluid into the t-case. The vent line is the next thing I'm going to check. That's also why I wanted to know there was a seal inside the end of the 700R4. My transmission rebuild was done years ago, and they could have left something out.

BIGJ

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I put two brand new o-rings in mine, it still leaked. The only way I fixed it was to use the "blow" method I described. Try to do it with the oring you have in there now, I bet its "bad". That is where your getting all the fluid from. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If I ever run into this problem will you put your mouth on my "shaft" and "blow"? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

NO /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif