Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

if you HAVE a laptop help?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MudNurI, Feb 18, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

if you ACTUALLY HAVE a laptop- please help me figure out what brand/gizmo's etc... are worth the money....

It mainly will be used at my Pampered Chef shows, for order entry, and then that will be uploaded to my desktop. I am not interested in having a super duper fast processor, or some crap I wont even use. I have NO idea what brand is worth the $$ they are asking... I have looked at a few, mostly about $1200 and some have rebates.... HELP!!!!

(oh I don't want to hear... well Dell sucks or that sort of stuff. tell me WHY you have the brand you HAVE... if you don't have one, don't bother telling me what to get.)

sorry to be bitchy, but I'm tired of the crap posts about why I need to do what you did, only because you did it.

thanks for those who answer!
    Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

You might look at this one My Wonderful Site

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Sony GR series kick arse! <a target="_blank" href=http://www.sonystyle.com/vaio/r505/index.shtml>R505 series</a> are slick looking, small, and light...
    Of course, you don't have to, but I'm about to buy a bunch of these <a target="_blank" href=http://www.sonystyle.com/vaio/popup/specs_fx390.pdf>FX series</a> boxes soon for work...

That Inspiron Muddin pointed out is a nice unit, too. You might also look into the Dell Latitude series...

If you're interested, I have a Compaq Presario 1277 I need to sell but have been too busy/lazy to put on Ebay... 475Mhz/192Mb ram, 4 or 5Gb hdd, 24x cd, xircom nic, Windows 98 clean factory install/restore. I'm looking to get about $500 for it. It's a pretty clean unit, but I finally got one through work, so I don't need this one anymore. If you can spend it, buy a new one, though, they're cheap enough these days...

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Your ad here.

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

ill sell ya an iBook really really cheep....i just got a new gateway laptop (well it should be here in a few days) and now i need to off load this one..prob not goin to be much help for ya since its a mac but i thought i would give it a shot anyway. [​IMG]

<font color=green>Chaz</font color=green>

[​IMG]<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chaz88k5>http://community.webshots.com/user/chaz88k5</a>[​IMG]

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I use a Gateway now. Bought it because Gateway (and Dell) have good solid hardware and warranty. The Compaq Presario is also a solid laptop, as is the Toshiba 8100.

That said, it depends on what you need, to narrow down your choices. Sometimes weight is the biggest factor, and you sacrifice features (the ultralights don't have built in drive bays for floppies or CD R for example), so you go without or attach them as separate pieces-a PITA on a plane if you need it.

Sometimes people need a desktop replacement and sacrifice lighter weight to get it.

Usually the lighter it is, and thinner the case, the more expensive it is.

Sony Vaio is thin and light and mostly designed for multimedia. Dell latitude and Inspirons are both very good and can be desktop replacements. I have the Gateway Solo, also a desktop replacement, which I take on the road for use with clients. Personally I would love a lightweight laptop, but i need the drive bays, so when you add it up ultimately a light laptop plus the extra drives, portable printer, zip drive (I need it because clients still use zip drives), etc. pretty much equals a desktop replacement weight anyway, at a lower cost than ultra light laptops will run.

For the uses you state, I wouldn't go with a high end laptop. Data entry is basic stuff, like word processing. Go with a reliable brand, good warranty and basic features (no bells and whistles). A good used one would do OK too.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog, it is very dark.</font color=blue> [​IMG]

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

okay next question-

since I normally back up my Pampered Chef stuff on a floppy- and this is how I thought I would be doing it on the laptop, but then looking over the ones you guys linked for me... I dont see much about floppys--- what I see are CD, CDR and DVD drives... do they have floppys? do I use CD's what am I going to use to get the stuff into my desktop?

can you tell Im computer illiterate?
    thanks again!

Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

7. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    They should have a floppy attachment that will either plug into the side of the laptop, or will slide into one of the bays. I don't know exactly what you need in terms of computing power for your laptop, but try to stick with dell laptops. Dell has excellent customer service and support and they use quality hardware that dosen't generally go bad if it's kept up. The company that I work for buys nothing but dell computers now, and it makes my job as a member of the IT department easier cause the darn things don't break!

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Most come with a floppy drive as standard part of the package. But ask anyway.

If you get a desktop replacement type, it'll be one that will slide into the available bay (and usually is the same bay [opening] you'd slide the CD-R into). If you get an ultralight, the floppy drive will connect to the laptop via a cable that plugs into the back of the laptop.

Dell does offer excellent customer service and you wouldn't go wrong with them.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog, it is very dark.</font color=blue> [​IMG]