Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

if you have used POR 15- please help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, Feb 16, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Getting ready to FINISH what was started 9 months ago-

finishing touches on MudNurI

while talking with Jim (hotstuff) last weekend- we were discussing the cancer his truck has after only 4 years- we started talking about POR 15- and I think i am going to use it, before putting the carpet and interior back together-

here are my questions-
    for those of you that have done the entire floor- how much did you use of each product.

did you use the complete system- Marine Clean, then Metal Ready, then the POR 15--

according the the website, the POR 15 quart covers 96 square feet- being completely MATH DUMB- do I need a gallon of the stuff?

Do I need to prime/paint OVER this stuff? since carpeting and the side panels- will be covering it, IM really NOT concerned with UA Rays.---

If I only do the inside the the rig- all the floors, and the "walls"... is it still going to keep rust away- or do I have to do the underside too?

Thanks guys!!!

Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> I got a quart and did the bottom of the entire rear floor and the entire tailpan plus the inner fenders on the back and the rear half of the frame inside and out. I bought the metal etch stuff and completely stripped everyting I putit on except for the frame before I laid it on with using the metal etch before the Por itself. It goes a long way and brushes on very evenly. I will be getting some more real soon to finish my wheel wells and the top of the rear floor and the rest of the frame. I will be trying some of their engine paint stuff as well. Any more questions feel free to contact me. Also go to my members photo page and check out the pics of the project there.

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> monkeys steal my underwear at night

3. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

I used it on my front floors with the wash and prep product. Just make sure it 100% dry before laying the carpet back down or you will hate yourself. I also did the axle housings and springs then hit it with gloss black rust pait. Looks very clean. Plus I still have about 1/4 quart left.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> You painted over it, huh ? Did it turn out o.k. ? How does it affect the POR if at all ? Got pics ?

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> monkeys steal my underwear at night

5. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

if you are going to leave it out in the sun then Por-15 has a uv protectant you can put overtop.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Let's guesstimate that the complete floor of your K5 is 10 feet by 5 feet. 10x5=50 Square Feet. So a quart is plenty to do the floor and you'll have some left over for other stuff! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

7. a87ss305

a87ss305 Registered Member

If you are going to paint over it and want the topcoat to look good get their tie coat to paint over the POR15 then apply your topcoat. POR15 is so slippery that without the tie coat paint other paints can't stick to it. Believe me I found this out the hard way on a snowplow blade last year. Avoid spraying it all costs, you will never get the overspray off anything and in my opinion it seems to be more durable when brushed on. If flows out wonderful so there is really no need to spray it as you can't see brush marks when it dries anyway. Been using it for about 8 years, great stuff.