Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If you live in Colorado don't use a 454 Vortec to tow...

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by CK5, Sep 27, 2004.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

If you live in Colorado don\'t use a 454 Vortec to tow...

Well, I am leaving the UAV home for Blazer Bash this year and driving the Suburban with out towing. The Vortec 454 doesn't have the nuts to handle it, last year driving up Eisenhower pass at a "top speed of 29 MPH", yes you read correctly, 29 MPH it slipped down to 28 MPH then the water pump blew up. What a joke of an engine, I will NEVER use a gasser to tow again, sure it might tow fine on flat ground near sea level but up here it's a joke. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Now I have a fuel sucking pig that can't tow, oh joy. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: If you live in Colorado don\'t use a 454 Vortec to tow...

Yep, gas sucks.

I've got a 350 TBI so I definitely feel your pain and then some.

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

yeah but you're a flatlander /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a 454 vortec with an NV4500 in my 1998 C30 dually work truck, it feels pretty strong. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif It sure can move unloaded but I have only owned for about a month so I havent pulled anything heavier than about 2,500lbs. I know what you mean about gassers and heavy loads though....my blazer even with a mild 406 has a hard time lugging around anymore than about 6K behind it, not to mention it's gallons per mile when heavy. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I'm buying a 2001 dodge CTD (as long as the deal doesn't fall through) so towing will be a breeze with my 20ft gooseneck and K5. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BTW, Steve, is it a manual or auto burb?

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

It's auto because Chevy doesn't give me the option of having a manual in a Burb, or a Duramax truck for that matter. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    I will most likely look for a quad cab Dodge Cummins manual when I win the lottery. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Yeah, my Burb feels somewhat strong driving around town while not towing anything, but with 8,000 plus pounds hooked up it's dead meat. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

don't need as big of a loto for this bad boy /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

That sucks. I thought mine did alright and its not the Vortech 454. I can pull most passes here at 50 mph while towing the Blazer. If I throw the camper on the back it drops to 40.

Must be the manual tranny. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    It's auto because Chevy doesn't give me the option of having a manual in a Burb, or a Duramax truck for that matter. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    I will most likely look for a quad cab Dodge Cummins manual when I win the lottery. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Yeah, my Burb feels somewhat strong driving around town while not towing anything, but with 8,000 plus pounds hooked up it's dead meat. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]No manual option? that stinks. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    All the diesels are getting pretty expensive these days but hey, they last for a long time though and they sure are nice.

9. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

8K pounds? I'd hate to see what my 15k pounds would do to your burb /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Cummins all the way...

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm surprised it's that bad. So you can only pull that grade with it in 1st gear (I would think that a wide-open throttle and only 29 mph the tranny would be in 1st)?? How does the average loaded semi do on this grade?

Hopefully I'll get to eventually try out my 6.0L gasser in the mountains out west while towing the Blazer.

11. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That sucks!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I have to get a run when climbing hills with my 454 truck..
    I hit about 80 mph...before hit the hills in Southern Ohio and that helps... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

I hit about 80 mph...before hit the hills in Southern Ohio and that helps... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I guess thats one way to do it.

13. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Thats wierd, my 6.0 gasser does better than that, there are some pretty steep grades around here that I would get stopped at the bottom of and would be able to hit 50 mph at the top of and have to back out because of traffic, of course your altitude is a little higher, but still that's wierd, my dad's also towed with a 6.0 gasser and had better luck than that in the mountains.

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any particuliar roads you are talking about? I've been all over Ohio and never have problem maintaining the speed limit in my 6.0L gasser. Coming back from Wellsville last Easter I ran I-70 all the way, heading into a light wind, with the cruise set on 75 mph......it would obviously downshift into 3rd on most grades but never fell below that speed (except when in traffic). I'm sure the grades are not as steep and a lot longer out west, and the elevation causes a decrease in power, but I can't imagine what type of grade it would take to slow it down to 29 mph.

When I picked up my 2,500 lb. trailer in N. Carolina I went through the Smokey Mountains and it pulled all of the grades in overdrive at 70-75 mph. For comparison, I've driven the same stretch in my mom's 4.0L Grand Cherokee and it would kickdown into 3rd on most grades with just 3 people and some luggage in it.

15. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Guys you have to understand that these passes are at 11,000 feet and higher. The Tractor trailers are going in the 20 to 30 mph range.
    Steve I think that maybe you need to just stay home and rub that sore spot between your legs.

16. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Come out to AZ. It is downhill for ya and you will be getting closer to sea level (except on the way back). Think about it while you are shoveling snow and we are out wheeling in shorts /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

This does make me wonder how my q-jet 454 crewcab will do next year dragging my K5 up to moab??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

17. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any particuliar roads you are talking about? I've been all over Ohio and never have problem maintaining the speed limit in my 6.0L gasser. Coming back from Wellsville last Easter I ran I-70 all the way, heading into a light wind, with the cruise set on 75 mph......it would obviously downshift into 3rd on most grades but never fell below that speed (except when in traffic). I'm sure the grades are not as steep and a lot longer out west, and the elevation causes a decrease in power, but I can't imagine what type of grade it would take to slow it down to 29 mph.

When I picked up my 2,500 lb. trailer in N. Carolina I went through the Smokey Mountains and it pulled all of the grades in overdrive at 70-75 mph. For comparison, I've driven the same stretch in my mom's 4.0L Grand Cherokee and it would kickdown into 3rd on most grades with just 3 people and some luggage in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

SR 11 between Lisbon and Wellsville...
    but it's nothing like the smokey mountains..

My 454 has over 250,000 on it...
    that may have something to do with it too.
    I'm also hauling a 2200 lb
    trailer..firewood..grill..
    camping equipment and spare parts.

The Vortec 454's were low on Hp and torque...
    much differnet from the new engines that GM offers now.

18. rjfguitar

Steve, hello, my name is Diesel and I'm knocking on your door. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

19. jerry303

jerry303 Registered Member

I don't see how you can compare how an engine pulls on foothills vs. a REAL mountain pass...you really can't.

20. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't see how you can compare how an engine pulls on foothills vs. a REAL mountain pass...you really can't.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Is that directed at me or did you just click on my post reply?