Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

if you needed a daily driver to save gas...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skelly1, Mar 10, 2004.

1. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

5.29 gears is a little much for 35s /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

good point. I had 4:56's with 32's on my 81, it was still slower than hell and no good on gas.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, but along with a set of 4.10's your gonna need a bigger tach... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif And 5k can buy a whole lot of K5 fuel....

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Honestly, if I were to get a daily driver...it would be just that. A Toyota Tacoma is definitely something I would drive (I actually was looking about a year ago to get one for a DD), but it would be as it came from the factory. Start adding in lifts and bigger tires and you're talking about the same driveability issues that you have with a lifted K5.

6. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i would (did) get a small 4 door car for a daily driver, it is pleasant to drive on trips and easy on gas, right now it suits my needs just perfect with myself and 2 small girls; i bought a saturn, i have a 94 with about 250,000 thousand on it and liked it so well i bought a new 2000 4 years ago (yes, if you look at my sig and with the cars i have my driveway looks like a parking lot, 10 altogether)
    /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

When I recently went through another tranny I needed a car to get to work and to school and what not, so I bought a 1982 toyota cressida for 600 bucks from an old lady down the street from my house. Its ugly, but I dont have to worry about it getting stolen because if so no big loss. And it gets 30 mpg. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Its all I could afford anyways being a full-time student and full-time work.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't think I'd expect a lifted locked rig with 35" tires to get that great of gas mileage.

To answer your question, it's a nice truck but I personally would never drive a japanese machine. To each his own if you want to drive it, but its American only for me.

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

the Tacoma is the only truck made 100% in the USA, no parts are shipped in on this one.

10. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I had an 87 Toyota with the 22R 4 cylinder, 5.29 gears, and 35" tires. Gas mileage was only about 14mpg. I think the best I got was 16. The 5.29s were perfect with the 4 cylinder and 35s though. I also ran the truck for a while with 4.10s and 31s and only averaged about 15-16mpg. So, if you are thinking about buying it for fuel economy, you are going to be disappointed. My 98 extended cab chevy with the vortec 350 gets better mileage than my old Toyota.

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Exactly. 5.29's are the proper gear on the 4 cyl for those tires. Some folks are even running that with 33's. They came from the factory with 4.10 for the 235/75/15 and 4.56 with 31's, but many say 5.29 is as low as you want to go and keep your pinion strength. Would I DD one? Absolutely. Great little trucks and I've owned 2. Not powerhouses or big, but good compromises. My '91 got around 25mpg but it was stock with a lockright rear and 30x11.5x15 TSL/SX. It all depends on what you want. If I didn't have the cash I have sunk into the K5, I'd do toyota again in a heartbeat. However I'd hold out for an '85 or later to get FI. Actually '85 was the perfect year, the only one with FI and Solid axle. The perfect for me would be an '89 to '95 since the interior, tranny, rear axle, ect are much nicer. SAS swaps are very common on these years and bring up to being a nice toyota.

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    the Tacoma is the only truck made 100% in the USA, no parts are shipped in on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is over simplifying...but all the profit does still go back to Japan.

Rene

13. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[​IMG]

just get a corola, my friends got great gas milage and doubled as a flex ramp /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

14. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Can i ask WTF is up with this shackle? [​IMG]

15. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know for sure that the wiper system is produced in Mexico, as I work for the company that makes them... plus all of the R&D for the truck was mostly done in Japan, but most of it was tested in Ann Arbor, MI at the Toyota Technical Center. tRusty is right... all of the profit goes to Japan in the end, and the profit that my company makes ends up going to France /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

16. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

It's a revolver shackle sold by TeraFlex. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

but it is supposed to be pointed backwords isn't it??

18. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Nope. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The Potent Rodent:
    [​IMG]

19. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

no, what im getting at is it looks like its not attached to itself, but welded to that piece of metal comin down at an angle. If so /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

20. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

No it is right. What it looks like it is attached to is the exhaust hanging down.

Nice toy! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif