Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If you never change your oil...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Oct 28, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

... your motor could end up looking like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The biggest solid hard chunk stuck in the lifter valley was about 1' wide and 3" tall. Oil wasn't even able to drain back down on the drivers side head. It looks MUCH nastier in person.

2. hawk368

hawk368 Registered Member

Man, Thats nasty. How long did you let it go for? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Not that I can say much, I blew up my 6.2L this morning. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

That looks like a good waste of a big block /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Not my doing. The motor was in a '77 1-ton Crew Cab I bought last June. Thats how the motor was when I got it. Finally got around to pulling it out last week.

It's a .060 over 1968-1969 396. Ran crappy, and had a bad rattle (probably worn piston skirts/cylinder walls). I've only got the heads off so far. The heads were the main thing I wanted off the motor... closed chambers. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif That and I may use the steel crank with a 454 block and make a 427. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

That sucks to blow up a motor. I've blown up a few myself. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

that right there is why i will NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES RUN PENZOIL /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

i was about to say..... mustof run pennsoil/quaker state

7. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Why do you say that? I run penzoil in my burb cause you can find it anywhere.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Doesn't look all that bad, but I guess you already got the chunks out. I rebuilt a 289 once that had basically filled in the lifter valley and around the valve springs with waxy concrete like stuff. This stuff was and inch thick or more across the valley and was actually making domes over the lifters in places. Never seen anything like it since then (thankfully).

9. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

In my engines class, we just saw a slide show of horror stories worse than that. It makes you wonder, what the hell these people were thinking. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

10. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

My grandpa had a crown vic he bought it new, from day one all he put in it was refined oil from the dollar store. He rarely ever changed the oil. The motor had only 30,000 miles on it. The sludge was so thick that you couldn't put oil in it because the heads were completely stop up. He took it the ford dealer and they had to tear it all apart and clean the sludge out. He still didn't learn his lesson, he uses good oil now but still rarely changes it. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I had an aunt of mine a few years back buy a 1986 ford mustang convertible. She thought it was cute, and bought it right there. It looked good on paper, 1 owner, 40K orriginal miles, nice shape, ect. When my uncle decided to do some maintinence on it the next day, he found the ORRIGINAL oil filter on it. The girl that orriginally owned it, got it as a graduation gift from her father. She went on to college some 2 weeks after she got it, and never changed the oil, ever. she didnt think she was supposed to. It makes you wonder what is wrong with some people.

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've seen lots of chevy motors that bad--or worse!.One 327 I took apart to do a manifold swap and a new cam had sludge piled up right to the underside of the intake--couldnt see the lifters or cam at all,had to suck it out with an old shop vac!.I had my doubts if it was even worth doing after I saw that,but it did run pretty well afterwards.I put a quart of marvel mystery oil in it and changed the oil after the cam was broken in--it looked like liquid coal!.It did smoke a little,but it ran like a bear--goes to show how tough chevy motors can be(sometimes!). /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

beaterk20's buddy has a Poncho engine that looks like that! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

Is that a 402?