Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If you own a dog...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChevyCaGal, Jan 10, 2003.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

.... then avoid traveling to Cookeville, TN. I saw the video (from the cops car) to this on the news but can't find it to link here. If someone has a link would ya post it? I hope if they do it's as clear as the tv broadcast was on what happened. I wanted too puke when I saw it. Some people might say it was only a dog, me personally I hope the guy is fired... heck, well I can't say what I really think... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

http://www.newschannel5.com/news/0301/03/dog.htm

Police Shoot Family Dog During Stop
    Authorities are investigating after a family complained an officer shot and killed their dog while they were mistakenly pulled over in Cookeville.

James Smoak says he, his wife and children were traveling from Nashville to their North Carolina home on New Year’s Day when he noticed a Tennessee Highway Patrol trooper following him.

The trooper and three Cookeville police cars pulled him over and the passengers were ordered out of the car and handcuffed.

Smoak says their bulldog named Patton came out of the car and was killed by a shotgun blast from a Cookeville officer.

The stop turned out to be an error. It was prompted by a driver who told authorities they saw a wallet and money fly out of a car. The wallet belonged to Smoak. He accidentally left it on top of his car while buying gas.

Both the Tennessee Highway Patrol and Cookeville police are investigating.

(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Another couple of links:
    http://www.unknownnews.net/cache41.html

http://www.msnbc.com/local/rtmem/familypurafa.asp

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    then avoid traveling to Cookeville, TN.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually that is probably the safest place to be with a dog right now.......

John

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

besides that, anyone messes with my dog I will sick this on them.,, and they will be sorry...

[​IMG]

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I can't wait to see what kind of dog it actually was.....Was it a bulldog or a pit bull type dog.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

The article I read said boxer-bulldog mix...

I tried to link a video, but all of the news sites want you to be a subscriber before you can watch the video /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Don't know if you read my rant on a cop that held me at gun point right outside my trailer with an AR15 223 or not, but when I realized that it wasn't the cop I thought it was pulling up to my place I made the dog stay inside while I went out and investigated. Good thing I did cuz she's really friendly and would have charged right at the officer just to say hi. I'm sure he would have killed her as soon as he saw her.

VERY IMPORTANT! When being confronted by any type of law enforcement personel, if you have a dog... CONSTRAIN IT!

These people are threatened enough as it is. Don't let them mistake your dog's friendly gestures for an attack. The poor cop is going to have to assume the worst and fire... I don't really blame them... And I'm sure the officer who shot that bull dog is feeling bad about it.

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I can't understand it if it was one of these [​IMG] But I can understand something like this.... [​IMG]

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

A cop I know here in town had a pic up in his old office of a dog he had to shoot one time, the pic I think was taken by a newspaper person. It was the biggest dang pit bull I ever saw and it's front end is up in the air, jaws snarling something fierce. Bad deal.

9. joker89blazer

joker89blazer 1/2 ton status

I can see several sides to the story.

1].The owners may have had a very well behaved pet.And have every right to be upset.

2].The officers had a right to be suspicious [although wrongly] and may have felt threated by the dog jumping out of the vehicle.

3].News reporters are paid for interesting info
    love and hate are the stongest emotions if you can give this you "capture" the interest. Sometimes to much info will distract from this. No one wants to be confused we would rather love are hate.They are only selling us what we want. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

So let me get this right. If it was a bulldog it was wrong to shoot it, but if it was a pit bull it deserved being shot?

I find this a bunch of BS. Pit Bulls can be some of the best companion dogs. Ive got a 8 1/2 month old female that is 70 pounds and is the most loving dog Ive ever had. While she is big, she plays great with everyone, even other dogs

There is no such thing as a bad dog, just bad owners. I know quite a few people that have pits, and they are great animals. In the hands of the wrong person, even a lab could be a dangerous dog.

This doesnt just pertain to Pitbulls, it goes for anything. It you were raised in a home where you were beaten and abused, you could become a dangerous person, same goes for a dog. I get really sick of idiots that assume since we have a pit, that she is mean.

You ought to see how people act when they see our dog, (before knowing she is a pit). They play with her and do the usual petting and such, but when they ask what breed she is and we say pitbull, you would swear someone kicked them as fast as they back up. I swear, some people are to stupid for theyre own good.

11. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Of course if it was a pit, it must be mean. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    See my post above /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

12. landsmasher

I think you are getting the wrong impression of what Fumes was producing. Have you ever seen one of those flat faced dogs run? Even when they are young they look cripled!

If a dog big enough to hurt you comes flying at you or one of your comrads are you going to wait and see if the dog rips out his throat before you shoot? Hell NO you aren't..

I' have had dogs since I was 11 and love them to death. But I also know what can happen so I protect my dogs from things they don't understand. Now if I hear of a cop shooting a chawawwa I'll jump on the band wagon to get his arse fired... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

NO NO NO NO thats not what I meant, I only meant in the relative size of the animals and until I see the video and how the dog was reacting ,I can say nothing about what I would have understood the officer to do.....It says in one report it was a bull dog, now if that little thing came wobbling toward me I would fall down laughing but if a pit came charging me, I would take a much more cautious stance...OK.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. landsmasher

ok /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. landsmasher

Speaking of dogs, I have to go get mine now. She's down at the hangar stirring up bunnies...

16. motorheadnelson

motorheadnelson Registered Member

Hey fumagator...speaking of dogs. Should I bring ol' Bugsters over tomorrow to give Li'l Pecker something to shake about? They sure are funny...

17. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I worked as a meter reader for 5 years and I've been chased, bit, attacked, pulled down, by countless dogs. All breeds, all temperments. I had a little dog climb an 8 ft wall like it wasn't even there . I had a pit bull knock down a section of 6 foot wooden fence to get her tennis ball. And it's always the same old story...... "he's never acted like that before". Some dogs came up like they were ready to play ball or say "hi" and all of a sudden I'm on my back fighting like hell. It's an unfortunate incident, and it sounds like the family was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Who knows what the dog was thinking when it jumped out the car. You hear the same old cliche, if it wasn't for my dog (doing whatever) I'd be dead.....but that's the way police are trained. If it's going to hurt you, you take it out of the equation. I haven't seen the footage but it sounds like the officer didn't have time to pull a tennis ball out of his pocket.

18. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I have had my share of angry dogs. (Must be the uniform). I have yet to shoot a dog out of fear for my life. I have pepper sprayed a few of them though.

At the academy this subject was actually covered. They say that if you are bitten, force your hand, arm or whatever is in the dogs mouth as HARD and FAST as you can towards the dogs throat. (The thought being that you will force the dogs jaw open and roll the dog's neck back.....forcing it to release the bite.) Sounds like a good theory but I do not want to test it .

I have yet to see a dog that is a REAL threat from 10 or more feet(yes, I know dogs can cover 10 feet in no time, but dogs do not shoot,stab,or punch you). Dogs will either attack.....or not attack.

19. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

20. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Sorry about that. I just get tired of everyone screaming about pits and I misunderstood you. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif