Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If you take diversion on a criminal charge will it come up in a background search?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by y5mgisi, Dec 12, 2005.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I just got invited to a hiring session by union pacific:D . The job i applyed for was train service in Hinkle, OR. The problem is that a few months ago i got busted with a small amount of pot.i didnt get arrested i just got a ticket for "posesion of less than one once of marijuana". It was a stupid thing to do i know but i was havin a crapy week, needed to unwind, you know the story. So anyways I wound up getting charged with possesion of less than an ounce of marijuana. On my plea date(i was gonna plea not guilty) they said i could plea guilty, not guilty, or take diversion. Diversion sounded good so i took it. So what i need to know is, will this affect me getting the job? I have a few months left to go in my diversion classes (i go every tuesday) and need to make sure this isnt going to mess with anything. Now on the application it says "have you had any alcohol or dug convictions in te last 3 years?" I put NO Because i dont think i was ever actualy "convicted" of the crime by taking diversion. Man I hope i get this job.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  2. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

a diversion program usually keeps it off your record but sometimes it will be left on until completion of program. Ask your probation officer if you have one or treatment counselor.

3. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

There is not such thing as "off our record" by the way. Depending on the job you apply for, i.e. law enforcement or anything with a clearance, they get your complete criminal history, which includes every arrest no matter the outcome. Many agencies even go back and interview old neighbors, teachers, prior employers, etc. Nothing can be hidden if they want to look hard enough.

4. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

mabey the title will help with responses. My hiring session is on the 21st

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Well, the key there is the "Convicted" thing. The way I understanded it, you were not convicted if you go through the diversion program. So, you're record may show a arrest, but shouldn't show a conviction.

6. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

i had a little run in with the law a couple months ago, too. and according to those i know in the business of law, an arrest will NEVER be cleared from your record (even if it was the mistake of, say, the officer's and arrested you instead of the other guy in town of the same name), and as far as i know, your record is not erased until you complete your classes and probation (at least that's what mine is), but is erased when you've completed what the judge tells you to. this cant be traced i dont think except by like federal or state jobs. the only jobs i hear about neighbor interviews would be like a former math teacher who worked at los alamos (where the atomic bomb was developed) and prestigious (sp?) stuff like that.. good luck with it, hope something in there helped :crazy:

7. Desert Rat

Your record is never "erased". However, you are right that depending on who is doing the asking will depend on what they get. If you sign a release form for employment that specifies any convictions, then they will only get a list of convictions. If you apply to be a cop, or something military related, they will see every contact with law enforcement no matter the outcome. Even when you hear the term "having your record sealed" for a juvenile, that only counts for the average person inquiring. The record isn't destroyed and can be accessed by the right people.

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

No, i dont know the story as i have NEVER touched the stuff. BUT the descissions you make make the life you live... so if it does affect your possible upcoming job, then so be it.

drugs are illegal for a reason.

Grant

9. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Care to enlighten me as to why drugs are illegal? Having never used drugs yourself, i'm sure you can support your stance with loads of information, yet no first hand experience. By the way, this thread was asking about this guys criminal history. Why do people feel the need to be an asshat and comment on personal beliefs that are totally irrelevent to what a thread was originally about? Now i'm doing the same thing..... Chill out and burn a fatty Grant. BTW y5mgisi, I dont think that you have anything to worry about with the job you are applying for.

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Then tell me just why in the flying **** are you attempting to aid in the hijacking of this thread with your question?

Since I'm a nice guy and all, I'll go ahead and answer it for you.

1. Drugs destroy the body, literally.

2. Drugs take people way past the point of incredible stupidity.

Simple, isn't it???????????????;)

11. Desert Rat

I don't think that it is coindidental that if you take all crimes committed and look at the root cause of those crimes, you find that drugs and alcohol (a drug) are involved probably 75% of the time.

12. koldsimer

Um, go arrest someone. If you read my post you would see that I admitted to my shameless contribution of hijacking this thread. Anyway, my point was that random comments that criticize some poor guy who admittingly made a bad decision are useless and serve no purpose. In response to your "answers":
    1) Not all drugs destroy the body. Most illicit narcotics do harm your body through abuse.
    2) Not if used responsibly.

It IS quite simple from my POV. And I still think your a good guy Bubba!:waytogo:

13. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i hate people that have to input irrelivant comments to the questions asked:mad:

depends on the level of back ground check they will do, union pacific does both. if the simply ask for a felony conviction in the past x years then u will be fine. if they need a background check for a clearance of some type then it will show up. since it was recent, that prolly wont fend well.

good luck

14. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep. It does depend on the waiver you sign, but they probably won't pick that up. Make sure that you comply with the diversion program completely.

Be real careful not to slip up again though - Most places have random drug tests. I don't do any type of drug, but i get picked for the "random" drug test every time. i told them, its not a drug problem, its a personality problem.:D

15. koldsimer

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: That's funny as hell!

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Wow:eek1:

How original and thought provoking.

Dare to elaborate????????????

Bullsh*t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there's one thing I hate in this world more than liberals, stupid people, communists, gang bangers, city folk, and ugly lesbians, it's patronizing statements like that.

Try again high speed....................

17. koldsimer

:haha: This is hilarious. You certainly have it all figured out bubba. As long as i'm not on the most hated list everything is ok....:haha:

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Just what we need, another comment maker without any gumption to provide facts, intellectual argument and/or beaver oil pictures to support their argument.................

19. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Wait, so if we post beaver oil pictures in an argument, we automatically win?! :laugh:

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

It all depends.....................

If you post and someone else fires back with pics of better looking beaver oil, then it's time to bar the door cause it's gonna be a slobberknocker.............:D