Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

if you turn the key off...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by colbystephens, Aug 13, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

while the truck is moving, shouldnt the engine shut down? i thought the IP would cut off fuel, but when my shift linkage broke today and i couldn't get it out of gear i turned off the key, thinking this would shut off the engine and would slow me down pretty quick (i was only going about 5 MPH). the engine continued to run until i forced the truck to stall by hitting the brake (i've got the manual tranny). it was wierd. any thoughts?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

it should!..

AFAIK,it should shut it off pretty quickly,unless your fuel shutoff switch is sticking "on"...or some source of current is activating it other than your ignition switch..

One car a friend had started doing something like this when he added an electric fan to his radiator..the car ran for several seconds after the key was shut off,if the fan was running!..we finally figured out that the electric fan motor was acting as a generator,being a permanent magnet design,it needed no "field" current to generate some DC voltage!.

....the car would "run on", if the fan was on,unil the fan slowed down enough to stop "charging"!..the current was fed back into the coil and distributor by the wire he tapped into the fuse box to get power for the fan!...we added a diode to prevent this from happening again,and it worked fine..no more "run on"..

You got electric fans??...if not,maybe its haunted!.:yikes:

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

To get it out of gear without the clutch just give it a little gas first, and as you let off pull it out of gear. Then you can just brake to a stop and take care of the problem.

Rene

4. colbystephens

good tip!

5. colbystephens

that's pretty wierd. i don't have electric fans, but i've considered it. i wonder if it would be beneficial on this rig to run 'em?