Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If you watch Bill O'Reilley...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

You probably know that he's got a lot of not-so-nice feelings towards the oil companies right about now (who doesn't?)... Anyway, last night he was talking about how oil companies are gouging and what not, and not offering any relief...

They're not lowering prices or anything, but Sinclair Oil is donating $500,000 to the hurricane relief, plus matching donations of its employees up to another $500,000... I just thought it was interesting that in the midst of all the stuff being thrown around about the oil industry, someone is stepping up and offering up to $1.5 Million for a good cause... Beats the heck out of France and Japan :haha:

We'll leave out the fact that they'll probably make at least that much with the outrageous gas prices :doah: :crazy:

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I watched the last half..

I watched the last half of his show last night--he was listing the amount of "obsene" profits the oil companies have raked in during just the past 1/4 --Exxon's profits were in the hundreds of BILLIONS--and the CEO of the company got 800 MILLION for a salary--JUST FOR THE PAST 4 MONTHS! :eek1: :eek1: ...all the other companies showed similar profits..one company's PROFIT equaled the entire national gross produt of CANADA!...

They'ed BETTER give some money for the hurricane releif!--after all,a million bucks is a drop in the bucket for them!--and its OUR money they gouged from us thats making THEM rich--while the entire USA pays thru the nose,at the worst possible time to raise prices--when half of the gulf coast is in ruins.. :mad:

I had to laugh when Bill said "dont buy gas on sunday" :surepal: --I put 10 buckes in my truck today,first time in a week its left my yard,to go to the dump--sunday is the first time I'll drive more than 50 miles in a month or more..so I'm buying gas this sunday Bill,sorry!--but I probably wont go anywhere until the end of the month over 20 miles...think I'll hurt the oil company's profit?? :crazy:

3. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

yeahhhh...... no........ All the people who watch Bill O'Reilly couldn't make a dent :rolleyes:... And that's if everyone who watched his show followed his advice... I try to watch every day, but he's a little intense :haha:

I haven't bought gas on a Sunday in over a year...

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

channel surfing..

I never watch him or the other political shows too often--only the past week since the hurricane have i tuned in to CNN and Fox to watch the rescue and clean-up...I was channel surfing and saw the story about the oil company's profits..I can only watch so much of guys like him--they are all the same,you disagree with them,all they do is talk over you,and then "sorry,we have to go to break!"...
    Mike Savage is another I sometimes listen to on AM radio--but he's the same way--any callers who dont see things his way get hung up on quickly!...I agree with his veiws on Illegal Ailiens and our borders,but not too many other things.. :crazy:

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Watch him every day, about the only show I try not to miss. Now, I may not watch the whole show, or may be using my laptop as I am now (with Bill on) but I try to see what the topics are at least. Bought and read most of his books too. Very good reading!!!

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i figure i agree with him about 75%, 80% of the time... sometimes he goes over the top...

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Oil is a commodity which follows the laws of supply and demand like any other. They are charging $3/ga because people are willing to pay $3 a gallon. Same reason milk is $3 a gallon... its what people will pay.

j

8. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Exactly Supply and demand Just like lumber, its all priced base on what the market will take and its all based on wall street, futures pricing and people paincking over stupid crap.

The oil companies are in it to make money, not save us money. As long as we need it they can charge what they can get away with. like it or not thats the way it works.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I like ol' Bill I may not always agree with everything he says But i like the fact that he says it! And gets things out there in front of everyone's Face. Sometimes he touches subjects none other ever dare tread on.
    Thanks Bill :thumb:

10. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :eek1:

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Only guy I agree with 100% of the time.....Glenn Beck

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I generally agree tha the market dictates price, but if that CEO really made $800 million in salary (which I find hard to believe) then something is just flat wrong. I am all for people being compensated for work/responsibility, but that is absurd. I wonder if he needs an asistant....

13. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Glenn Beck is slowly becoming my favorite. On top of being right he is also hilarious.

I also agree that prices are governed by supply and demand, BUT that is not always the case even with commodities. Anyone who thinks commodities prices (as well as stock prices) are not manipulated to some extent lives in a bubble. Also, you simply don't have the competition in the oil business like you do in other industries. It's not like there are lots of oil companies out there competing for our business. There are only a few and b/c of that they can do pretty much what they please. I think O'reilly said the other night that a barrell of oil COSTS the oil companies about $4 and yet they are charging $70. No wonder the guy makes $800 million.