Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If you were gonna buy a new truck - what would it be?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by IGOR, Jan 3, 2002.

1. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm thinking seriously of buying a new truck - and love the new Chevy/GMC 1500HD crewcab with the 6.0.

Now, I've heard scary things about the new GM trucks: piston slap, synthetic rear-end fluid, very thin sheetmetal in the bed & hood (and probably elsewhere) etc -

I respect all of you opinions and am curious what y'all would get if you bought new - as far as fullsize trucks are concerned - would you go GM or would you venture to the Ford or Dodge side of the fence?

2. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

the only real truck built to date IN MY OPINION is a f350 powerstroke, i know its a ford but you have to give credit where credit is due.

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Agree on the F350. I would buy one if I could afford it. Or the F250 powerstroke diesel.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

H2 thats GM, now if they'd just make one that hadda fully removable top. [​IMG] I don't think I'd ever buy one brand new, I barely understand how my motor's put together...[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

5. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Why are the new Ford trucks viewed as better than GM's?

Just because of the front axle? Don't the Fords have weak axle shafts on their front axles? I would assume they have other problems as well?

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I'm building my new truck; 1950 chevy 1/2 ton 5 window!!!

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

7. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

yeah the fordisis have a dana 50 which is a 60 housing with a bit stronger than d44 shafts in them . id buy what bought already , unless i needed a fullsize for something ...

Kick It In The Firewall !!
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE

8. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

If I was to go out right now and get a truck I think I would get an F250 extra cab,2WD, with the 7.3 and an auto trans.

Some people shouldnt drive anything bigger than their head.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

9. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

It would either be a f350 powerstroke, or a Chevy 2500HD and swap in a dana 60 front!

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT
    <font color=red>MERRY CHRISTMAS</font color=red>

10. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

2002 Silverado 2500HD,8.1,Alison,2wd,Indigo metalic,4 door shortbed. Head on down to your local big 3 dealers and take a
    test drive. Buy the one YOU like the most.-Jim

88 Silverado K5 5.7-700R-208-10 bolts-4.56-35in
    Procomp AT's- some ORD stuff & a CV driveshaft

11. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Mine was going to be a 2001 chevy 2500 , 6.0 auto, ex cab, short box, z-71. White in color with grey cloth interior...I had it picked out before I lost my job. I guess I'll just have to build a Willy's for a 1/4 of the cost of that and get me an "old school" straight axle[​IMG][​IMG]

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

12. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

amen!!! and you'll be turning more heads with the 1/4 of the cost vehicle then the new $40,000 ones...

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

13. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

My choice would be a Ford F-350 with the Powerstroke. And yes, a 4x4 and regular cab long bed. But I also like the crew cab short beds, too. So, that would be a toss-up to decide exactly which one I would pick.
    Just does not matter, for a brand new truck, it almost HAS to be the Powerstroke F-350!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

14. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

Building my 46 chevy pickup. Keeping the 77 Jimmy alive. Nothing near new for me. No pollution controls, no emmisions, no catalytic converters and best of all, no computers and funky little electro gadgets to fail. No $30.00 diagnostic fee at the dealership before thay even turn a wrench.
    Its a simple life.

Bill
    '77 GMC Jimmy
    '46 chevy pickup
    '67 Chevelle Malibu

15. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

2002 GMC 3500HD dually, 4-door, duramax, allison tranny, Z-71, and then swap in a dana 60, lift it about 10" and run like 40s or 42s

LOOK OUT MOAB, HERE COMES THE SUB!!!!!
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

With out a dout a Chevy 2500-HD with the DuraMax Deisel. Hey how can you go wrong 300 hp better or as good as most sports cars and 520 ft. lbs. of torque does any truck match that I think not, not even the powerstroke. As for strait axel vs. IFS who cares it aint like the Dana 50 (odball axel) in the F-250 or Dana 44 (central axel dissconect) in the Dodge are cream of the crop axels anyways. I will give the F-350 credit for the Dana 60 but do you really want to be a trader. Come on Get the Chevy kick in the few extra bucks for ORU's strait axel conversion and be happy It's not like you would'nt get a lift anyways so if your gonna take a torch to the frontend you might as well go all out and do a swap.
    Corey 78K5

17. stump

stump Registered Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "z-71" package still only available for half ton trucks?

[​IMG]S-10 Blazer....playin' with the big boys[​IMG]

18. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

2003 Jeep (I know!!!) Wrangler Rubicon (?) Edition. D44's, front/rear air lockers, 4:1 T-case gearing and 4.10 axle gears. Oh yeah, and31" MTR's. I am thinkin that with the Skyjacker 8" kit and 38.5x14.50 TSL/SX

19. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

You could buy an late 80's Burb (w/FI) for what... I see them for like $5,000 in decent shape. Then drop another $10k-$20k in it and come out ahead of a newer truck... reasons I simply favor this I am not fond of the bodys on newer trucks. One small dent and it's a small fortune to repair. Not to mention insurance is expensive.... along being able to fix it yourself is another bonus. Plus you can customize the truck exacly how you want it. It'd be a lot of work and take time but it could be very worth while.....

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I'm in shape.... round is a shape......

20. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

4dr 2500hd with 8.1L auto tranny.
    i'd like the 3/4 ton avalanche if it wasn't for all that da*n plastic.

<font color=blue>85 blazer</font color=blue> 4" lift, 35" pro comp mt, locked out back
    <font color=blue>88 blazer</font color=blue>mostly stock
    <font color=blue>99 30th ann. TA</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>79 TA</font color=blue>