Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If you were me...torn between two Suburbans

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by linksvu, Jun 25, 2006.

1. linksvu

linksvu Registered Member

The setting: Currently have a 1994 K2500 government issued Suburban w/ 454tbi, rebuilt trans, 14ff g80, and basic interior (no carpet, two rows of seats). 454 runs great, been well taken care of...

Would you keep that one, do the SFA converion for 35's and lockers

-or-

Would you sell it, get an older k2500 with the SFA already, knowing it would probably be a 350 (therefore steeper gears) and have to rebuilt the t400 eventually, possibley not a 14ff as they were a little more rare in the earlier Suburbans.

Both will get a chopped rear to make way for the blazer soft-top and both will have an interier cage. I will only go 35's with f/r detriots.

Thoughts....

2. linksvu

Moreover....both would be selling the 1988 Jimmy 6.2 turbo:(

3. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I sold my 00' crew cab k3500 SRW LB to get an 89' k3500 solid axle truck SRW LB for 2 reasons, to get out from under the 500 dollar plus payments and to get a solid axle rig. then started a full frame off rebuild of it.

its been 5 years now and its still just the cab on the frame. have gone through the motor, tons of parts are powder coated. I have the lift for it. but it will sit til Im ready to start back on it.

I will allways vote for a solid axle truck but it depends on what you want to do with it. make it a wheeler or drive it on the street most of the time.

4. linksvu

Oh, this is just the toy...it will be for wheeling and winter only. I do not want to trailer it so it will stay 35's and gears in the 4.xx

Both truck will have SFA, but which one.......oh the problem we face:thinking:

5. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I'd say go with which ever costs less, which of course is a pre-IFS with the 350. Thats what we all drive.:D

6. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

not all of us run 350s :D

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Yeah, but its Old Skool. Of course you have a D60, but do you have K30 springs?

8. linksvu

I can't see having to rebuilt a 350 to get it where the 454tbi starts....not to mention I was planning on a MPFI conversion.:D

9. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My 89 has the TBI454 in it, and with no VSS so it's not running to it's full potential, will walk all over a 350. I test drove a Tahoe that had a 350 in it, and it was a dog. My truck even has 36s with 3.73s in it. Like I said before, the IFS has just about all the good heavy stuff in it already, less the front. An older sub, inless someone upgraded it already, will need all that stuff.

10. linksvu

I am starting to love that idea!

11. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Its also different. How many OBS burbans are out there? A crapload. How many IFS burbans are out there?? Now with SFA?? Be different. That's one of the reasons I got my 89. I had a pretty nice 84 that had a 454 in it, 35s, etc, but a running TBI 454 for $500, couldn't pass that up. Plus my other truck was too nice to take wheeling, and that is what I built the 89 for. Not a straight panel on it....

12. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

coolness factor... get the new one and SFA it...
    simplicity... old one...

get the newer one and keep us posted on the buildup.

13. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Cover, August "FOUR WHEELER":bow:

14. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

I just picked that mag up and thought OMG :bow: . check out the arch on those springs :eek1: . The rears look almost like a U :haha: . I bet you feel every frikin bump in the road . It look's sweet but I bet the ride would beat you to death . I wouldn't mind finding a newer 2wd burb and to the chop&bob thing like my old dog . a efi 454 would be nice and then convert it to propane and put a hi pinoin furd dana 60 up front . It's all just $$$$$ :D . I vote build a newer style burb .