Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

if you were me....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Sep 28, 2003.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

..what would you do:

i have a 97 yukon K1500. i have been working on an SFA conversion, as some of you might know. i've already bought the axle, and i'm working on getting the conversion kit right now. so i'm obviously somewhat already committed to this project. if i finished it, i'd have a pretty badass yukon.

BUT (there's always a but...) the yukon is my daily driver, and i drive upwards of 100 miles a day. and, since joining this board, i've started to want a K5 - theyre smaller, more capable, cheaper to lift, and if it breaks, i still have the yukon.

so, to get to the point of this thread, should i sell the 1979 F350 D60HP and start working towards the K5, or continue with the SFA swap? i've thought about it all summer, and i really can't come to a definate answer. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

i had a 90' k-1500 that i converted without a kit.it took a long time to get all the bugs worked out.there was no kit at the time.in my opinion,i say buy the k5.parts are cheap,they are tough,and its always better to have a toy to be rough with,that you dont have to worry about getting you to work monday.the coolness factor of a solid axle tahoe is up there,but once your done,are you really going to wheel it?also,it narrows down the market in the event of resale.K-5 it!just my $.02

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Keep the axle, get a K5, get a GM NP203 to Ford NP205 doubler and you will good to go.

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I say keep the axle and get a K5 then put that axle in the K5. Add a 14ff rear with a detroit, a detroit up front, a shackle flip, and some tuff country or bds 4" or 6" springs up front, take off the swaybar, and you will be good to go.
    -Harrison

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Or even an IFS truck's 241...it's also drivers side drop. Other options are a GM input gear on a Ford 205. I'd certainly keep the D60 you have, the HP is nice and it's one less part to buy when you get the K5.

The K5 as a build up truck makes much more sense to me...and like you said then you can use the Yukon as a daily or if the K5 breaks.

Rene

6. thezentree

yea, im rockin a 241 in my yukon /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

i would love to keep the D60, but its that or the K5 - that $1k it should bring in is gonna help a lot with the second vehicle. i'm a senior in high school, so a 2nd insurance payment, on top of gas, maintenance, a lift and new wheels/tires, not to mention the truck itself, is gonna KILL my wallet. Also, i dont have the driveway space for a 2nd truck (we currently have 4 vehicles here, soon to be a 5th when my sister gets hers) - AND i'm gonna be going off to college in the next year or so. i guess it all comes down to this: killer yukon that i would 'wheel hard (i aint drivin a posermobile /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif), or a stock K5 that i could 'wheel the hell out of.

7. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I would keep the d60 and then start saving up 4 the blazer. Then bolt the d60 to the blazer.

8. thezentree

but i want instant gratification! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

9. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

you'll have another 3K on the install and purchase of that SFA kit, if you're going through ORU. i've talked to some shops that have installed that kit and they say it is a PITA. get the K5 and live worry free.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would build both. I saw a bad ass SFA swapped '98 K1500 yesterday on 39.5 Boggers. It was a daily driver (driven with 35s on it).

11. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

well if u want to sell the d60 PM me im looking for one

12. thezentree

yea, ORU is very pricey, but there's no good offroad shop around here.

unick, i will keep that in mind, but as of now, i still cant PM anyone.

anyway, i guess i should start selling drugs so i can afford all this crap.... /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

13. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

how about you sell the ford axle and that will give you enough money for a LUV /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    i would probly try to work whith what you have. That in my expereince is the better option.