Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If you were to build a street/drag car...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big pappa b, Nov 13, 2004.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

what kind of car would you build? Sure everybody wants a classic muscle car but I'm thinking in terms of readily available replacement oarts that won't break the bank or take forever to find. Alsothe availability of fiberglass body panels (hood, doors, deck lid). Something small to mid sized to keep the weight down so you don't have to spend a mint on the motor to get good track times. I'm not a ford fan but I like the looks and weight of a mid 80's mustang (fox body) and am looking for a 10 second car. Not out of the question by any means. My almost 4000lb 67 chevelle was running 11.10 1/4's

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]

what kind of car would you build? Sure everybody wants a classic muscle car but I'm thinking in terms of readily available replacement oarts that won't break the bank or take forever to find. Alsothe availability of fiberglass body panels (hood, doors, deck lid). Something small to mid sized to keep the weight down so you don't have to spend a mint on the motor to get good track times. I'm not a ford fan but I like the looks and weight of a mid 80's mustang (fox body) and am looking for a 10 second car. Not out of the question by any means. My almost 4000lb 67 chevelle was running 11.10 1/4's

[/ QUOTE ] Mid late 80's / early 90's Camaro.

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

74-80's Camaros are cheap with many replacement parts. Go with a BB with solid lifter roller cam and lots of compression. Guaranteed fast.

4. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

can you say S-10 pickup? Or any little truck makes a great drag/street truck. S-10's are dirt cheap and will easily fit a big or small block. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

3rd gen camaro, bbc, GIT R DONE. Thats what UNCCs drag car is, run pretty danged good too.

6. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

89-93 Mustang. Theyre the Mass Airlow engines and are very easily upgraded. Are you wanting an NA motor or are you wanting to use a power adder?

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i would bulid a sleeper, like a 70 or 80 presean or some peice of crap, drop some huge displacement in it.

but have a crappy body and a switch to kill 2 or 3 cyl's to make it sound crappy and smoke, mabey even a old muffler you could lower on a cable to drag on the ground.

you know make it really sound like crap, but you could really really light it up!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

s10, mild 350, th350 or 700r4.

most of the 4cyl s10s got good ratios, my 89 had a 3.73 rear end.

9. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

HArd to say about the motor. I'm really impressed with the ATI prochargers. but at the same time I still have access to my old motor, a 575hp 396. It's NA but won't run except on race gas or alcohol

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

mid 80s G body maybe. namely monte carlo, gran prix, etc.

Me personally? a 1969 Pontiac Firebird with a Muncie M21, cause they are cheap? HA, not a chance, nope cause there is one in the driveway just sitting with the paint getting worse and worse with each year.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    mid 80s G body maybe. namely monte carlo, gran prix, etc.

Me personally? a 1969 Pontiac Firebird with a Muncie M21, cause they are cheap? HA, not a chance, nope cause there is one in the driveway just sitting with the paint getting worse and worse with each year.

[/ QUOTE ] G-bodys rock. I have a 5th gen. (78 to 87) El Camino myself. Mine is a 78.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I like them simply cause not everyone builds one. They aren't as sleeper as somethings but there are a lot fewer of them, around here anyway, than camaros.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I hear ya. Only thing is there are alot of companys that make high preformance suspension systems and fiberglass body parts for the Camaro.

14. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

mid to late 70's nova. YES, I KNOW EVERY KID ON THE BLOCK HAS ONE. but since one ofmy goalsin life is to build a 7 second car with no bottle i have to think small and light from the begining. a 69chevelle is toheavy for my goal. and the sugested 80-90's comaro is nota bad idea. all three cars have glass partsand other after market support in mass quantity.
    Grant

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

monte carlo or grand national with a BBC /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

16. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i concur... the only 80's body style i'd do....

17. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Mustang 5.0 all the way. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I have a pretty much stock 87 LX that runs in the 13s all day long. I eat stock 3rd gen Camaros and Birds for lunch. It will also give Vettes a very good race thru the twisty turns.
    A Fox body Notchback LX only weighs around 2800 lbs. They are cheap to buy and easy to build. Good results for $$$$ spent.
    Foxbodys= Ugly as sin. Fast as hell.

18. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i think a badass street/drag car would be an 87 grand national t-type. looks like a boring 80's car to most people. throw all the turbo uprgrades they make at it. one of the hotrod mags build a turbo GN like that. after it was all said and done the guy hardly drives it, they said hes scared of it now /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

anyone can throw a monster motor in a car and make it fast, but there is just a huge cool factor when you can make 500+hp w/ a v6 on 91 octane.

for what your wanting tho i'd go w/ the fox body mustangs. huge aftermarket and can easily made to run in the 10's w/ a small block.

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh there is one that sits next to a corvette near my house. The guy gave up on the Vette as far as I can tell and is building the T-Type, it doesn't look piddly to me. Its all silver and its accented in a way that it looks meaner than a GN to me. Could be someone did it aftermarket /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

20. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

A 96+ fourth gen camaro, the're resonably priced, the LS1's are a good base to build on, parts are available, their light and they hook up well.

Friend just sold one that was very streetable, 414 stroker based on a 6.0 liter truck block. To prove that they move, he's in the left lane...
    [​IMG]

Lots of guys are running 11's with just a cam, converter, and gears....