Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If your cherry picker doesn't roll on ground...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Oct 5, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

If your cherry picker doesn\'t roll on ground...

hook a chain up and pull it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Re: If your cherry picker doesn\'t roll on ground...

now that is a heavy dudy tow rig!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

afraid to know whats gonna happen to those trucks,,

you should see some of the crazy stuff ive doen out here in the past, ive lifted entire trucks with my cherry picker, also cut the frame rails behind the shocks and lifted away the entire drivetrain with suspension and all, rolled trucks over to get parts off, i do my stuff out here like junkyards do, whatever works best, get'er done!
    i use my vehicles to push and pull my cherry pickers often, they just dont roll on ground and gravel at all it sucks, soem day ill weld on some rubber tires, i know someone who can get me a set for 5 bucks, i just dont have the time to do it or the 5 bucks either

good luck

4. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i did a similar thing when having to unload some axles from my traile by myself once. chained my axles to the gate post that was set in concrete and took off. pulled em right out of there. LOL! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

i was half expecting to drag my gate post down the driveway though. got lucky /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've pulled some stunts like that,mostly because I had no one to help me.I dont reccomend riding the engine crane while your pulling an engine with it--a friend of mine did exactly like your photo shows,one of the wheels hit a rock and it tipped over sideways--broke his arm and a few ribs--no to mention the crushed oil pan and valve covers.He couldnt work or finish his motor swap for 2 months,and says he still has pain in his arm and ribs 2 years later. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    I used my 20 horse yardman riding mower to pull my engine crane with a motor on it out to my shed in the back yard once--the back wheels of the crane dug deep into the grass and the front of the crane lifted off the ground,the motor was about 8 or 9 feet off the ground--then the mower spun its wheels,next thing I know I'm doing a chineese wheelie when it came back down it lifted the entire mower up by its ass end,and I was staring at the ground!--I learned to hook the chain right next to the back wheels on the crane so it wont ride up and pull from the top of the crane.I nearly got crushed when the whole 9 yards toppled over.It was about that time I created the crane for the flatbed on my pickup truck--its a lot safer,but I still have had several close calls with it,mostly when trying to swing a heavy load into the truck--I had a huge air compresson on it (over 1000 lbs)and I wasnt strong enough to swing it in the truck because it was on an incline,and it swung back toward me and nearly pinned me against the side of the truck.It stops being fun when you get hurt---be careful out there!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ill take that light bar off the burb you just pulled that motor out of if you dont mind /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

We did it a little different on a rainy day at the junk yard. We put a bunch of axles on the cherry picker to hold it in plae. My friend hooked up is hyped up 99 cummins powered ram 2500 to the car and pulled it out of the way. That was quite a task in the mud. What a fun day.

8. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

I am probubly going to make a mount to attatch my cherry picker to a 2" reciever hitch. Maybe even take an old 1/2 ton spindle/hub to allow it to pivot.

Right now I just use a loader tractor /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Those pics were just for a joke mainly. The Miata (my friend's wife's Miata) didn't move anything, it just sat there and spun.

Soon after, we hooked my truck up to the cherry picker and I idled it back a few feet to get the motor/tranny and T-case out of his Suburban.

He doesn't want to get rid of his light bar. He plans on putting the yellow sub back together some day.

My solution to many things is to pull on it or use the winch. Pulled numerous vehicles over to get to axles and springs and even motors out. Last spring for fun, we took a bunch of cabs I was scrapping and drove around the field towing them, racing each other, seeing how much air the cab could get bouncing around behind us.

Once we towed home this abandoned truck from about 3 miles up in the woods. No tires. My friend pulled it with the yellow Suburban and I was driving my old '64 Int'l. with a huge winch muper on it. I'd come up behind the truck and ram it whenever he was slowing down. Many of the vehicles at my place have bumper marks imprinted in them.

Cherry pickers are reallu unstable on dirt, especially when they dig in. Several times, I've found the best and safest way to do it is intentionally let the cherry picker fall over, by rigging it and seeing how it wants to fall, then trying to do a "controlled tip-over" to let the motor or whatevers on it fall into place on the rgound where you can re-position and pick it up to load it.

10. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

it was worth a shot, o well!

11. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO THAT 'BURB? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

12. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif Ishould have read more. Still on screen from this morning /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

holy smokes! That gives me an idea when I pull my engine /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

14. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i did a similar thing when having to unload some axles from my traile by myself once. chained my axles to the gate post that was set in concrete and took off. pulled em right out of there. LOL! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

i was half expecting to drag my gate post down the driveway though. got lucky /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL thats how I got my dana 60 out of the bed of my dads F150. Hooked a chain around the driver side innder C and hooked the other end to a stout maple tree in the front yard. he took off and the 60 just swung from the branch, like a big sexy monkey. Then just lowered it onto a dolly. Fun times! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

i read an article where a guy welded spindles for 14' tires onthe back of the cherry picker. on the front he put smaller tires like for a lawnmower or dolly. all 4 were reovable with pins. looked pretty neat! i have always had concrete for pullin stuff but loading in a truck sucks in gravel! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I had one engine crane I bought from U-haul that had 12" boat trailer type tires and rims in the back so it could be towed behind your vehicle,it had a tailer coupler made into the frame of it--it looked weird going down the road with the legs of the crane sticking up in the air!.
    I went to U-haul to rent it,and it happenned that they were having an equipment auction,I ended up buying the crane for 100 bucks--they had some nice trucks for sale too,like the box trucks for moving,even a one ton with ramps that went over the roof of the cab(they used it to transport trailers,but the guy who bought it for 1500 bucks had plans to use it as a race car hauler--I was tempted to bid on it,but it was a FORD,like most of the other trucks they were selling.I wish I kept that crane,it was nice to be able to tow it to the job instead of needing a pickup and friends to help load it in the truck,and the big tires on the back made it easier to roll in dirt or over grass.The crane I have now is useless once your off the concrete or asphalt,those tiny steel wheels dig a grave and bite in--then you have to do like mountain explorer does to move it!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif