Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If your going to do something, do it right!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jcg, Jul 20, 2000.

1. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Yesterday the body shop put the new tub on my Jimmy. They were worried about how to lift it so they called a concrete plant across the street to borrow a forklift. Well, it turns out that the plant decided to send over a flatbed with a 10 ton crane on the back! It took less than a half hour to take of the old tub and put on the new one. They even used spreader beams so the lift straps wouldn't scratch the paint or crush the fenders in. They said the hardest part was pushing the truck out into the parking lot. After I finish undercoating my new front fenders with Herculiner and get them back to the shop, I should have my new K5 by the middle of next week. I'll try and get some pics posted after I get back from vacation.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

2. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

jcg - could I be so bold (and nosy) and ask what this is costing you - including the tub? Mine's literally rusting off the frame, and I know where I can get another tub (if it hasn't sold by now). Of course, finding a shop willing to do such a job is probably the biggest task! If I know what I need to spend to have this done then I can decide if it's worth the hassle or just find another truck! Thanks.

behemoth K5

3. rockosangel

rockosangel 1/2 ton status

We took the old tub off ourselves, and it really didn't take too long....Just the two of us. We rigged up a come-along and chain, it just came right off...Going to have some friends over his weekend to help put the new one on...It actaully isn't that hard. If you need details on how we rigged it up, I would be happy to e-mail you the specs. We also have pics on our web site, if your interetesd.

http://www.rockosangel.coloradok5.com

I'd rather push my Chevy than drive a Ford!

4. rockosangel

behemoth, almost forgot to tell you...it costs about 70-75 dollars to build the rig...depeding on the cost of wood where your at.

http://www.rockosangel.coloradok5.com

I'd rather push my Chevy than drive a Ford!

5. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

6. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Not counting the new fenders and tailgate that I decided to buy, I'm paying about $1400 to have this done. I'm just paying for the tub, the dealership is paying for the labor. I know 1400 is a little high for a tub but in western NY rust free truck bodies are VERY hard to find. Plus it came with a hard top and a complete interior that matches the one I already have so I can pick and choose between the two to get the best parts. I could have done the work myself but since I'm not paying for the labor, I figured why bother. I kind of wish I did do the work myself because it would have given me a chance to clean up the frame in the process but I can always do that later. If your going to do it yourself I've heard you can use two engine hoists to lift the tub pretty easily so you can roll the frame out from under it. I'm not sure what the labor is going to cost the dealer in the end but I think it's about 40 hours labor. If I had to pay for everything I definately would have done this myself, it's really not that hard at all. Good luck.

Joe
    88 Jimmy

7. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

1400 is not a bad price at all here in michigan you can expect to pay about 1700 for a stripped tub and about 2500 for one that is not stripped..

Scott
    78blazer

8. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Wow, $2500! That makes me feel a lot better, I thought I payed too much. This tub actually came from Ohio and I didn't have to pay for the shipping so I guess that makes it even better.

Joe
    88 Jimmy

9. rockosangel

10. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Man! $2500? You could have 2500 Grim mobiles if you get what he paid for his k5~!~

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

11. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

$160.00 for a 1985 Blazer Tub.. no rust. And I only wanted the floorpans !! Of course it was minus the doors and top.. but It's in great shape !!!

It's better to Have IT than to not need it, Than to Need it and NOT HAVE IT !!!!

12. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

It's done.. The new tub is on the frame. It only took 3 hours and w/ 3 people.. Our " A Frame " worked great.. no need to pay anyone labor woooo hoooo !!!!
    So lets see I'm only out $160 for the tub, 70 bucks for the wood.. come-along and a little sweat.
    Man it was easier than we thought. We will email anyone directions on how to build this "frame". It didn't wobble, sway.. it lifted the body straight up..
    We'll post pictures soon.
    K5 is sure looking good.
    Oh.. and we picked up some kickass seats from the salvage yard out of a 1994 Suburban. What a awesome weekend it turned out to be.

It's better to Have IT than to not need it, Than to Need it and NOT HAVE IT !!!!

13. Udy

Udy Registered Member

jcg-I imagine your not in classes at RIT anymore, otherwise I'd have to stop by. I'd like to see the truck in person. What color is it now? I'll keep an eye out for it here in the Rochester area. Good luck with it!

14. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Udy, I am still in classes, just not this summer. I couldn't find a decent coop around here and I didn't want to go very far away since my car isn't reliable... 87 Pontiac 6000 with 141k miles on it, no further explaination required. I'll have the truck at the Mudnuts meeting, it won't be pretty but it'll be there. Right now it's kind of a patchwork vehicle:
    tub - white
    doors and left front fender - black and red
    hood, tailgate, and right front fender - black
    top - either white or black, which ever I feel like putting on

If you know of a good paint shop around here let me know, I want to get it painted ASAP. I would paint it myself but it won't fit in my garage.

Joe
    88 Jimmy

15. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

jcg - thanks for the input! I'm thinking of just getting the body parts I need out of LMC and doing it myself. It might take a while since the my garage is still under construction and I need to focus on that, but I now have a good idea as to what this will take. Thanks to all others who offered input!

behemoth K5