Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If you're narrowed, where did you put your batteries?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Sep 13, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm trying to have everything figured out before I start my narrowing project, but I don't know where to put my batteries. If you took your battery out of the engine compartment...where did you put it? I've been looking at trays from CUCV's but it looks like I'd have to totally remove my heater and it get COLD here. I'd kinda like to put 'em behind the driver or passenger seat but that's a long cable run. Should I just mount 'em in the interior and invest in welding or amp power cables or is there a good way to keep a battery or two in the engine compartment?

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine are in the bed against the cab.

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

behind the passenger side seat. Just get some 0 guage cable and a box.

4. mikey_d05

Alright, second question, yes I'm hijacking my own thread. If I were to put dual batteries behind the passenger seat and I already have a Painless dual battery system, should I put the solenoid in the engine compartment or next to the batteries?

5. TLCOR

TLCOR 1/2 ton status

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

:D I would pu the solenoid wherever was handy....

batrack.JPG

7. mikey_d05

How much shipped to 56073? :D

I think I'm probably going go make up something very similar except with a floor in the frame itself.

8. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I only have one battery right now... but two trays... mounted under the passenger's seat. The cables are the same length as stock. Instead of running the ground to the alternator bracket I ran it to a transmission bolt. The battery has been submersed 4-5 times now and it's just a regular lead-acid battery. I don't foresee a problem with it. They're actually less vulnerable from damage than saddle tanks.

9. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Are you wanting me to build you one? I could put a bottom on this one but I would do double square tube on the bottom then sheet metal under that. The raised square tube on the bottom really gives the batteris more support. I don't like a bottom since all I see it doing is holding in mud and water, the way I have mine the water would drain out from the rack.

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I originally put mine inside the frame rail, just forward of the rear axle. Now with the links, there is no room there without getting intimate with the link. Now I have a sort-of tray on the cross member just forward of the fuel cell/tank for mounting 2 batteries. I try to keep them as far rearward and as low as possible...

11. mikey_d05

If you want to and you've got time. The weekends I go home are normally full so I have more money than time when it comes to the truck right now. If only they'd let me use the shop here. :doah:

I'd definitely need bottom though in case I decided to relocate the batteries to a spot without a floor underneath. I think three runs of square tube would do it.

PM me if you actually want to make another one.

12. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would add this if you plan on running the batteries inside the passenger compartment. Use a couple of battery boxes that are sealed and vented to the outside with a hose. Battery's generate a gas that is bad to breathe and worse if ignited by a spark. Inside the cab without a box vented outside could pose a big risk. Besides that if you are running regular lead acid (wet) batteries and you flip your truck on your lid, that acid is going to leak out on you, your passenger and anything else inside.

Summit sells them for a reasonable price, plastic or aluminum. If you look at the NHRA rule book, it lists if the battery is relocated to the interior/trunk it must be contained inside a sealed box and vented to the outside. I know we are not Drag racing here, but they cover a lot of classes from sportsmen to pro's and make sure ALL are running in a safe vehicle. It's a good guide at least...

13. mikey_d05

Good tip, but if an Optima vents, I'm probably already dead.

14. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

:yikes:

Shoot me an email with what all you want. I'll fab you one up for a reasonable fee. Ever take a look at the towers I sent ya?