Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If you've done a 1 ton conversion please help me out!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by EricM, Jun 1, 2001.

1. EricM

EricM Registered Member

If you\'ve done a 1 ton conversion please help me out!!

Just got done with the one ton conversion (almost) and I'd like to know what you guys did about the brakes. I have a 72 Jimmy with the stock master and booster which I don't think is going to work with the axles and the 36's. The brakes seem spongy I may need to try power bleeding them.

I've done the rear disk conversion on it using Misfit's brackets and the caddy calipers. What I need to know is has anyone got the 1/2 ton master and booster to work with the bigger brakes or do I need to upgrade?

Also where can I get the best price onlocking hubs for the D60 (85 chevy)?
    Who has the best deal on RS 9012 or a comparable shock? I made new mounts on the rear and soon to do the f@rd shock mounts up front.

Thanks for the help

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: If you\'ve done a 1 ton conversion please help me out!!

Power bleeding won't help. You can bleed the brakes until the cows come home, but you'll have a mushy pedal until you get those Caddy calipers adjusted just right. You have to use the parking brake lever on the caliper to remove any slack between the pads and rotor. I took the lever off of mine and rotated the internal screw until the pads were touching the rotors, then backed off just a tad and re-installed the levers. At last the pedal was firm!

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i am running 1/2 ton master and booster with front dana 60 and rear dana 70. zero problems. spongy is nopt an indication of wrong master size. the master diameter basically controls how far you have to push the pedal and how hard you have to push the pedal. how far is because of the volume of fluid displaced, how hard is the hyd advantage of small piston area vs big piston area. if you are bottoming the master then you have a problem with calipers demand for fluid exceeding masters capacity, if you need both feet on the pedal to be able to depress it then your master is too large(someone correct me if i got that backasswards).

Brake Handbook

Fred Puhn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HP Trade | ISBN 0895862328 | $17.95 | Published Jan 01 1987

this book will tell you more then you need to know about brakes

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Eric, just did the one ton swap two weekends ago. D60/14FF. Powerbleeding worked "for me" bigtime, made night and day difference. Using stock 1/2 ton master cylinder/booster on my '79K5. Not sure about your rear brakes since I stayed with the monster drum brakes and will continue to stay with them.

The brakes when adjusted right and bled are incredible. Literally incredible.

Locking hubs - Paid $200 for Warn Premiums
    RS9012 - Paid $60 each for mine at a local 4WPW...........

Side note on 4WPW - locally (82nd Ave store in Portland, Oregon) they are fantastic, great folks to deal with and best price on tires and wheels and shocks anywhere I checked. They will continue to get all my business........

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I did the rear disk brake with TSM and 3/4 ton calipers. NO mushy brakes here. My truck (89' 1 ton K5) stops the 36" no prob. Stock master and all.
    I heard that the caddy calipers are hard to to get right.
    Anyhow, I went through 4 quarts of brake fluid (that's a lot of bleeding!!!!! (front and rear). still semi mushy, but not bad at all. Then I got them power bled and it made a difference...kinda. I could've stuck to what I've done instead of paid teh $60 bones to get them powerbled. But oh well.
    Boss

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boss.coloradok5.com>http://www.boss.coloradok5.com</A>

6. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

What exactly is power bleeding? Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 4" lift, 33" BFG muds

7. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

I'm with dawson here. I don't know exactly what power bleeding is, very curious though.

Thanks

Buddy

72 K-5, 33x12.5's, 350/350/205,12-bR,d44F soon to be 39.5'x15.5s, EFI502/nv4500/doubler205, d60F, d70R. Stay tuned.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

AFAIK, power bleeding is when a plate with an air fitting is attached to the top of the master cylinder. Air pressure is applyed and each bleeder is cracked like regular.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

9. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Thank you very much!!

72 K-5, 33x12.5's, 350/350/205,12-bR,d44F soon to be 39.5'x15.5s, EFI502/nv4500/doubler205, d60F, d70R. Stay tuned.