Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

IFS drawbacks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MPM94chevy, May 15, 2002.

1. MPM94chevy

MPM94chevy Registered Member

Whats the drawbacks of IFS? And is it ok to put something like a 37-39 inch tire on it and do moderate muddin? Oh yeah, and how would you go about puttin new gears on it? thanks

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine had 38s and 40s on his truck w/ IFS. When he lost the front wheel for the 3rd or 4th time he decided it was time to get rid of it. The IFS that is. The bearings in the hubs just dont like big tires and wheels w/ a lot of offset. Add to it the pounding a rig takes in the mud, and youll get to see your own tire pass you.

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

The only IFS worth it's salt in the dirt is Ford TTB, and that's limited to desert/sand running with 37"s or less. A-arm setups are weak, unreliable, and expensive to keep functioning.

4. MPM94chevy

Oh... hmmm, it is ok for just your regular highway stuff though right? Oh by the way i got a 94 Yukon.

5. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

IFS gives a better ride on the highway and handles better, but it lacks the ability to really articulate offroad. To change the front gears I'm pretty sure you have to drop the cradle and remove the diff, then split the case. With the GM front diff you are generally limited to 4.56's although I have seen some 5.13's in Randy's R&P ad. But like stated above, IFS doesn't like the extra leverage of wider wheels and bigger tires. A buddy of mine has already broken 2 of the c/v axles with only 33''s. IMO IFS is just more stuff to break.

6. spaceboy

spaceboy 1/2 ton status

My friend Tom has 39.5 Boggers on his F150 and doesn't baby it at all. The only problem he has had with his is he blew his hubs. I didn't think it would hold up when he put the tires on about two years ago.

7. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

GM's IFS is the biggest waste of time and space the General ever devised./forums/images/icons/frown.gif I've got a 92 Blazer K1500, pretty much the same as yours, and trust me, it sucks. You can't lift them cheap, they have NO articulation, ride sucks offroad, there's a million little parts that have to come to practically a cosmic alignment to get anything to work right, especially steering, and none of it is built up to the strength needed to be whomping through the mud with big tires and lotsa lift.

Yes, you could lift it way the heck up like a lot of people do, with like a 6" lift and a 3" body lift and maybe cranking the heck outta the torsion bars or one of those moronic Whiplash or Full Throttle 9" and higher lifts to run 37" tires or bigger, but you might as well just take the front driveshaft out and never take it offroad. That's the only way GM IFS will survive with big tires, as a pavement princess./forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I wish I had sold this IFS truck last year and bought a SoCal rust free K5./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif It's a good vehicle, and it rides nice, but I want a good 4x4, which it's not./forums/images/icons/frown.gif/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

8. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Come on... you cant beat the heck out of a 1/2 ton with 39.5 Boggers and not break.

I would like to see what you considering real hard wheeling.

I know this comes up a lot. But, it just cant happen.

I see pepole with stock motors and 35 Boggers breaking each time out.

Ken H.

9. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Are we talking a pre 97 TTB or that funky A-arm crap? A TTB front end is really nothing more than a D44 with slightly better shafts than it's solid axle counterpart - so it'll hold up to big tires fairly well, like all the D44's and 10 bolts rolling 44"s in the 80's.

10. spaceboy

spaceboy 1/2 ton status

I'm talking mud bogs where the mud is between three to five feet deep. I don't know if his gear ratio helps any but I know he is running the stock 3.73s.

11. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

39.5 boggers, stock axles, 3.73 gears? What motor does he have to turn those good enough in a deep bog? And with a motor big enough those axles sure woudl be stressed.

He is one lucky guy.

Ken H.

12. MPM94chevy

soo... How much is straight axle conversion? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. alot!!! i hated ifs!!

14. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Prolly will cost around 2K ? I know that's about what the toyota's cost to convert.