Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

IFS Front Coil Springs (not talking about rear leafs)

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Yohinan, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

Ok maybe stupid question here for me cause I am in learning mode when it comes to 4x4. I am coming from the car side of the house and learning rather fast. What I am wondering is when dealing with suspensions of cars you can purchase aftermarket coil springs with different spring rates, taller and lower springs, etc... allowing you to change a myrad of characteristics of your vehicle with just a coil spring change. When it comes to IFS lifts they cost an arm an a leg. Are there no companies out there that make taller coil springs to give more lift to our trucks (Suburban in my case)? If not I am wondering why no one has gone and found a manufacturer to produce some or looked at OEM parts bins for taller springs from different trucks that would allow more lift. I am talking on the smaller side of things here. I am not looking for a spring that will give 10" of lift if that is what you were thinking. I am being practical and saying maybe 2-3" from a coil spring change. Any input from anyone on this both negative or positive? I really dont want to shell out $500.00 or more for a lift kit when I could just get a small lift out of a spring change. Thanks for the help. John

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

there is no coil springs in a 4x4 IFS chevy. Pull the front wheel stand back and look at it then come back to us /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

those trucks use torsion bars, the lifts come with raised control arms i beielve, im not totally sure what the lifts consist of ive never owned one but i know they are something like that when it comes to lifting them

4. retroblazer

retroblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

IFS lifts have been limited to drop brackets for the differential and the arms or a lower cradle to drop the differential and the lower arms, but leaves the upper arms in the stock location,using a new taller knuckle. The latter is the better method. The better kits have a one piece lower bracket as opposed to multiple brackets. These kits do nothing to improve the stock set-up other than lifting the truck.

5. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

A phrase comes to mind here. "OPEN MOUTH INSERT FOOT." Sorry about that one fellas. See what I get for opening the mouth before looking for myself. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Thanks and sorry for the idiotic question. John

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no need to be sorry, everyone learns somehow.

7. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

the 1 piece kits are the way to go if your planing on lifting it they are much stronger. You could prob find a way to make some brackets and what not to use coil springs for damping landings kinda like shocks hmmmm mabey.. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif