Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ifs keeps looking better to me..

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by bryguy00b, Nov 30, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i know i may be "pussing out" but i really would like to at least try an IFS..i love my truck but when it comes to runnin around all over the place offroad, and just on the road in general it sure is an awfully rough ride most of the time, and the newer trucks generally stay trogether better than the older trucks....not to say i would have an IFS truck forever i would defentaly have to get another Solid axle chevy, probobly a blazer, but i would like to at least give an ifs rig a shot , i know that repaiers would be much more costly, but i dont beat my trucks anyway, just go muddin once and a while..no rocks..nothing like that, probobly be lookin at an early 88-92 or so year..

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

go looking if you want my K2500 didn't ride a whole lot better than my stock k5. It didn't body roll nearly as much(good bushings help), and there wasn't any rust but mine was a 95. It surely didn't flex for crap but you don't care about that. Just getting it onto some grass with no posi in the rear it just spun. Was pathetic, had to lock in 4 wheel places my k5 never had to.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hahah..my truck does that, and yea..it really looks pethetic...i had my truck in the front yard washing it..went to go drive it into the street..and it just spun, was embarasing, and i made a mess out fo the yard my dad wasnt to pleased with. just not enough torq i guess..of course i did have bald 31's on it but still, and this is in wet grass mind you lol..

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I had a set of good 32s on my 95 but they were a pretty all terrain tire. The tires on my k5 suck though. I left some nice ones with the K5 after I lifted the front and not the back adn was driving around my property, got stuck on this pathetic little ledge and well screw it, gas it. Lincoln locker was working overtime as I spun sideways through my yard and caught pavement and wood and left some nice tracks.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

so no posi or limited slip at all on this 95 k2500? and thats all on the driver there not on the truck b/c its ifs.... and it all depends on the type of grass and how wet it is/muddy.. For instance when we had to pull a truck outta a small little tiny ditch and when i say tiny i mean like 3 ft wide and mabey 6in deep no water or anything just slippy mud and he was stuck locked / 36in TSL's the 4wd wasnt working but still that was sad moment for badass chevy truck. He was just rolling and stopped there to talk to some ppl and then couldnt get outta it. I wish i had a camara woulda made a funny stuck pic.

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It surely didn't flex for crap but you don't care about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe if they had gone with an independent rear suspension, like the original Humvee, it would have done better off road than with the IFS up front and solid out back, they really just don't mix. I heard or read about this somewhere awhile back. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

All I know is I would ramp it on a hill and the left rear tire came off the ground pretty quickly.

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

That is a typical scenerio for ifs fronts.
    Actually, even solid front and rear setups do the same thing though, it just depends on how it was setup, keeping sway bars on kills the ability for any axle or wheel to "stretch" out and grab the ground. When i was able to take the burb wheelin, i was always on 3 wheels due to this, and i have solid front and rear, just not equipped for "stretchin" "flexin" "articulating" whatever you want to call it. Thats why everybody likes locking devices in their diffs. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah my burban doesn't flex very well either, its an 89 V2500. My K5 flexed like a monster for a stocker in my opinion, I later discovered a completely seperated sway bar mount, so the sway bar wasn't acting much when it came time to flex.