Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

IFS Lift Question

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by ChevyHuny, Aug 31, 2002.

1. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

I have a pro comp 4 inch lift for my IFS truck. With the lift comes 3.5 inch blocks for the rear. I was told that 3.5 inch blocks would make my truck sag in the rear. That I would have to add leafs and junk. I called Pro Comp and they said the truck would not sag and just 3.5 inch blocks are just fine.

I dont know if the sagging part is true or not. . But if so why would the manufacturer put 3.5 inch blocks in the lift if it was going to sag? Thanks for any help /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Ok hear is how it works. Your truck already sits high in the back. So the make the lift a bit lower in the rear to make it level not sag but level. These guys that design this stuff are like enginers and stuff so they kinda know what they are talking about. If it needed something else they would know the first time they did one. Thats why they get paid the big bucks.

3. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Thank you Corey /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Now I know what Im going to do next will be okay. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Cant wait to see the new paint job by the way. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

What corey is saying may be true, however my brother in law just put a 4" superlift in his 96 suburban, and he had to add-a-leaf... he was sagging WICKED bad, not before the lift, but after......now it's not.

our 99 rancho lift, we purchased the add-a-leaf kit because the rancho tech stated that the truck would sag without it....

food for thought.

Brandy

5. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Thanks Brandy I will definatly keep it in mind /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I think that is why I like the Pro Comp lift so much. Ive talked to a few people now who have the Pro Comp 4inch lift for thier IFS trucks and so far they havnt had any sagging problems with just the blocks. I have heard that pro comps 6 inch lifts are not good though. Just the 4s. So If I ever decide to go bigger, I will go to a different company.

6. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I was talking with the local trick trucks manager, about lifts for my 97 Tahoe, and he does not like the Pro Comp lifts anymore. He told me that Pro Comp had been bought out a couple of years ago and the quality and fit of the kits has suffered. He recomended TrailMaster, BDS and Sky Jacker. I had a 2" Superlift on my S-10 and the rear was an add a leaf, the factory springs were sagging before but after the lift it was worse. The fix was an extra lift shackle on the rear to make up the difference.

7. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Hopefully it will work for me as it has done for other chevy owners with my lift. Ill make updates on how the Pro Comp lift works out for me /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Who was pro comp bought out by?

If I was going for a big lift I would have gone with another brand as well. Im pretty confident now that my lift will be just fine for me /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I did not ask him who owns Pro Comp now but I will when I go in to talk with him about my options. I am looking at a 4" Trailmaster or the 6"BDS or Skyjacker kits right now.

9. tjayandlisa

tjayandlisa Registered Member

4 wheel parts owns procomp as well as alot of other manufacturers...and they are buying more and more as they can...

10. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

I have decided to ditch my 3.5 inch blocks and go with 4 inch blocks. Then Im going to crank my torsion bar a tad to try to get 4.5 - 5 inches depending on what it looks like once its finished. Still small lift but hey every little bit counts /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

11. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

just go for a shackle flip in the rear. my pinion angle is great on my truck. there's no driveline vibes either /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

i did the homemade flip, where you cut out the bottom of the spring hanger and drop the shackle through. I Reinforced the hanger by fabbing up an "S" shaped metal strap....I welded it to the hanger on the top end,...and i had a hole drilled on the opposite end so i could bolt it on the shackle bolt.

12. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Since Im so new at the suspension thing I dont think I would be smart enough to figure that out lol I cant weld to save my life eather. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

13. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

There are also shackle flip kits, which is a special bracket that is bolted in place of the stock hanger. I think the hard part is drilling/cutting off the old fastners.

14. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

yeah, like scotty1 said, you can get the shackle flip kit from ORD. just grind/drill out the told rivets, then bolt the new shackle hanger on.

15. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Thanks everyone, I already have my blocks but I will check out the shackle flip anyway. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

16. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

the advantage of the shackle flip is the use of the stock springs, which have more flex, and you will avoid/limit any axle wrap problems associated with the lift blocks. I think the bracket runs about $100.

17. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

the brackets are about $160 from ORD /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

18. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

If you plan on towing with this truck I would not do a shackle flip.

19. 1tonblazer93

1tonblazer93 Registered Member

the 3.5 are perfect for you mall cruisers,,keep that 10blt slick

20. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Mall Wha? You got something to say? Say it or get the phuck OUT! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif
    If you want to show up at my door step be my guest! I'll leave the door open for ya just walk right in. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif I'll be there to greet ya.