Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

IFS (newbie question)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MEPR, Nov 29, 2002.

1. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

Alright i know IFS is suposed to improve the ride of a truck but at what cost does it do this (ie what are the downs sides of IFS). Thanks

2. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

the biggest drawback I can think of is that it's not SFA. If you don't plan on going offroad much, I'm sure IFS would be great for road manners. That and it won't be considered a REAL truck anymore and you'll have to paint it pink /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I'm sure more knowledgable people will pipe up with their opinions about this that will help you more.

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Articulation. Strength. Cheaper to lift. Say no more. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Dan

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Not as much strength and tons more parts to break. Ohh... and over 1 grand to lift it more than 4"s.

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

you're askin for your luv aren't ya!? i think it'd be awesome if you made up custom spring hangers and put a jeep width D44 under there.

6. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well i am asking about my luv. I do have plans in the distant future to put a set of K-5 springs and axles on it so i can run 33s (that will be cool). But for the moment im going to be lifting it 3" and i dont have to buy anny parts (just steel to fab. some rear spring shackles), i just have to run 2 bolts up and retention my strut bar. So i was just cruious becouse thats the cheapest lift i have heard of /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Solid axle, front suspension
    Design;
    A solid axle suspension has a locating beam cannecting both tires togather, permanatly. There is no change from tire to tire, other than steering input and pre-set steering incination angle (neg. camber-gain) *more on camber later*.
    Advantages;
    - Strength and Rigidness.
    - Camber control. The tires will remain consistant in relation to each other, regardless of tarain and body-lean.
    - Simplicity.
    - Travel. A "working" soilid axle can be made to have extream amounts of suspension movement.
    Disadvantage;
    - Heavy-unsprung weight. Un-sprung weight is weight that is carried below the suspension, like the tires for example. If a object is heavy, it will tend to stay in its path and resist a change in direction. (Like a tire over a bump)
    - Bump-steer: Bump-steer is a change in toe when the supension changes postion (toe = tire pointing in or out, from straight ahead postion) Basicly, uncontrold or un-wanted steering in-put in a solid axle design. On a soild axle suspension, there is no way to eliminate bump-steer, but it can be redused to "useable" levels.
    - Shimmy: Shimmy is a uncontrold vibrations of a tire. With both tires connected togather, anything that happens to one tire, will effect the other tire. If for-example, one tire is out-of-round, then it's effects will be transfered to the other tire.
    - Inability to change to uneven road surfaces. Again, anything that effects one-tire will efect the other tire. If for-examble, one tire is on a curb, and the other tire is on the street, both tires will be forced to ride on their outer (or inner) edge of the tread.

Independted front suspension
    Design:
    Both tires are suspended independently of each other. They are not intercannected. Usualy, the tires are located by unequal length control-arms or links.
    Addvantage:
    - Flexibility of alignment. A independent suspension can be made to set the tire to any position at ride-height and be made to set the postion of the tire in-relation to suspension movement. (camber gain/loss, bump-steer/toe-in, ect...)
    - Ability to change to body body lean. As the body sways into a turn, the suspension can be made to take advantage of this movement and increace cornering force in pre-determined amounts. (neg.-camber-gain)
    - Predictability steering in-put: Again, tire alignment can be set to almost any-position, giveing the driver a feel of "total-control". (toe-in and bump-steer, neg-camber-gain ect..)
    - Lighter un-sprung weight: Less un-sprung weight will have a tendency to change to road surfaces quicker, and therefore, stay in contact with the road. (Allways a good thing)
    - Ability to change uneven road-surfaces. Same example as with the solid-axle above, but the tire can be made to stay vertical, keeping the full width of the tire tread in contact with the road surfaces.
    Disadavantages:
    - Extreamly complex: If you get it right, you win! Get it wrong, and your in a ditch.
    - Maintence: With the ability to set the tire to any given angle, also comes the ability to disturbe the alihnment and genneral wear and tear.
    - Inability to take addvantage of leverage: With both tires suspended independently, no or very little force will be transferd to the opisite tire (has more to do with articulation)
    - Less wheel travel (factory): With several links, at some point the travel of the links will be limited or the intercannecting arcs will bind, decreaseing suspension travel.