Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

IFS question

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by MTBLAZER89, Mar 18, 2003.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey all got a quick question. My buddy has a 92 2500 we recently did the CV joints on. During the project the flange that the CV bolts to came out of the diff housing. We opened it to find that the C clip came off. Anyway we got it back on and everything worked for a while now it has slid back out of the diff housing again I am sure it is just the C clip again. Do we need a new C clip or could it be something more serious. Sorry so long any info at all would be great.

Thanks Brian

2. Miller

Miller Registered Member

Im guessing its just the c-clip, my right side slides out if i try hard enough. not planning to fix it though.

3. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I had the same prob in my 88.I assume you're talking about the pass. side axle.Mine did this several times.I finally found a wire ring with a little larger dia. and it stayed in.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

hey my driver side axle is doing that im going to unbolt the cv half shaft from the flange and see if i can pull it out or not but its really loose and idk what to do with it drop the whold ifs diff.. or can i fix it with it in, its not really hard to drop the whole Ifs diff out but if i could leave it in id rather do that....?? its leaking out the seal on driver side axle right there where it goes into the ifs diff like the seal is gone bad. theres gear dope in the driveway.. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thanks everyone. Bent the c-clip down a little that worked for a while then it came out again. Bought a new clip and it works great.