Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

IFS Rocks!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, May 20, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My shop changed the axle in our minivan in like 20 minutes!! He swapped in the new one, drove it around a little, brought it back and swapped the old one back in...

:haha::haha::haha:

On the other hand, IFS sucks in that we can't find this freaking thumping noise... Bearings are over $100 each, but when we get back from fla, I just might swap one out...

2. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Hahaha, yea, just wait till you have a problem in the centersection :rotfl:

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:rotfl: That would be the transmission/transaxle... Not tremendously worse than a tranny failure in a 4x4, though (this is our minivan, btw).

I was just goofing around, I was just shocked and glad he was able to swap it out that fast.

Sealed bearings rock...to the tune of $185 in parts! That's where the problem might actually be...

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

There not that bad, after youve rebuilt a few.

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If it's a thump, I'd lean towards a tire.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

are the tires chopped? and if so you want the high side to hit first and move them to the rear. ifs is bad for chopping tires and rotation is the #1 thing to not skip.

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, I rotated the tires, changed the rotors, still no difference. I had the shop change the axle, no difference.

I had 4 different people listen to it this time in the shop though, and they all think it's a bearing, so that'll be the next place I throw the money...

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

ifs loves to eat the bearings. easy test to see wich one is bad. jack up the truck all 4 off the ground. put tcase in 4x4. then take long screw driver and hold to bolt for bearing to knuckle and listen with ear. do this both sides and the bad one will sound like old metel rollor scates on concreat. i do this all the time at work for cars and trucks.

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

No can do... It's the family minivan we're drivng down to Fla tonight... I was going to do the driving in the air thing, but had heard on vehicles with traction control it can mess something up...

The problem seems to require wieght/load to appear, too. I can't hear anything when I'm spinning everything by hand witht he car up in the air on jacks. It seems to start around 15 mph, too.