Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

IFS Swaps

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sniper, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Sniper

Sniper Registered Member

I have a 1999 new style Sierra 1/2 ton with the 6-lug IFS and I need to know if it's possible to swap in an 8-lug 3/4 ton IFS from the same year. Basically, did the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton share a common frame in 1999, before the Heavy Duties came out?

2. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

im not an expert but if your up to doing that kinda swap why not just go with straight axle in the front? just wondering

Evan

3. Sniper

Sniper Registered Member

Because the cost to convert is way higher than a straight bolt in upgrade...no welding involved, no mods to an axle or purchase of a new custom one. I can get an 8-lug 1999 IFS in a junk yard and bolt it up....I hope. If not then the straight axle is my only option...and it will be awhile b4 I have a front locker. :-(

4. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

Not that im pissin on ur parade but how are you gonna find a totalled new 3/4 ton that the front drive line is ok. I mean if its that new and in a junkyard its gotta be a bad wreck. Im not trying to be an [censored] but ive tried looking for parts from the front end of a new truck and they are not easy to find in good condition.

Evan

5. Sniper

Sniper Registered Member

Rear end collision, fire damage....sooner or later I'll find one...if it will work that is. Still no definitive answer yet.