Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

IFS To Dana 44

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by getitup, Aug 19, 2003.

1. getitup

getitup Registered Member

Well one of my friends had his 90 K1500 stolen from him while he was at work one day. He got it back now but its missing of all things the tranny and transfer case plus some other stuff. He went out and bought a 02 Silverado HD the day it got stolen so he really doesnt need this 90 anymore. He also has a 79 that he uses for wheeling but its in pretty bad shape. So put the 90 and the 79 together is what we are thinking. How hard is this without buying one of the kits? Has anyone done it here? We will be using the 90 tbi and the 79 th400 and 205 case. What problems will we run into? Thanks for the help.

2. getitup

getitup Registered Member

So nobody knows about doing this swap. I thought that I would at least get something for a relply. If you need any more info let me know.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the garage people don't talk about ifs much, don't mind them, head over to the IFS forum plenty of threads already exist abotu Straight Axle Swaps.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

can you fabricate stuff? good with a welder? good with measuring? good with cutting? its gonna take a lot of all of that to make your own setup. Making your own setup isn't very hard but its time consuming for sure and I wouldn't tell just any shade tree to go do it.

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd say screw the ifs-sfa swap and just put the 90 body on the older frame and change the length of frame to match and be done...

But if you must do the swap, just start measuring things on the old frame and build hangers on the new frame and bolt it all together with a bunch of locktite and go blow it up /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

why not just take all the measurements from the 79, cross them over to the 90..install everything and be done? or just swap the bodies would probably be easier..