Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ifs to solid axel conversion.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, May 20, 2003.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Nov 10, 2001
    i know its been run over 100 times, but i want to look at it again. i did a search and found a little info, but not much. has anyone actually done this? i saw off road unlimiteds page. it looks awful pricey to me. 97 1/2 ton tahoe btw.

i think that you just need to weld up some hangers. which i what they did, and added reinforcement on the back one.

if i kept the stock transfer i would need a ford front end. then my bolt pattern is different. any ideas other than swapping it up to 8 lug? i can get a ford front end easy enough.

if i swap it to a 205 which i have a spare of. i have to find a convereter/adapter and figure out the speedo.

qnyone know the frame spec differences between the 97 tahoe and say an 88 blazer truck/

this is for my wife by the way so she isnt gonna need lockers and such. and thanks to everyuone whos brain i already picked on this

let the pros and cons begin.
  2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dec 24, 2000
    I did it to my truck using the ORU kit. It's worth it in my opinion instead of sitting down and making sure all the dimensions are perfect, square, etc...

You really want to look at a 78-79 ford front axle since it's the 8 on 6.5" gm pattern and the 32.5" spring pad width. The newer years have the 36" spring pad width and theres major problems with the tires rubbing on the springs at full lock.

Anyway, your planning on upgrading the rear too right? That 10 bolt won't hold up long... Best bet is a 14FF to match the 8 lug front.

My Swap
  3. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Jan 16, 2003
    I did my own swap and like said you have to be sure to keep everything square.I spent about 2 weeks doing the swap and have been happy with it so far.If you don't need the 60's beef look for a 3/4 ton Ford D44{78-80?} /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.It's still a HiPin and the pad width is 32in.Some of them use the same dual piston calipers and rotors as the 60.Then find a 8lug 14SF for the rear,it'll be a straight swap for the 10B.