Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ifs torsion bars

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by bckinblk, Jan 29, 2003.

1. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

I was under my 97 tahoe today and noticed that the torsion bar adjusting bolts were uneven from left to right .Should these bolts be set exactly the same?? they are about a half inch difference ..Or is this adjusted due to the crown in roads.Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks

2. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Well idk bout yours but mine are even so the truck front end sits level on both sides. Your truck should be sitting funney lookin like that b/c one side should be higher then the other. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

3. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Mine were even.Did you buy new? If not someone could have adjusted one side to stay level with load.I'd measure how they're set and adjust evenly.If this doesn't affect handling figure someone goofed when adjusted at factory or such.Has it been in accident.could have been set to make level. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

thats typical. juts make sure both sides of the truck sit even. measure from center of the wheel to the bottom of the fenderlip.

5. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

thanks for the prompt replys . I jacked up the front end and took an air impact and cranked them evenly .When I lowered the truck it sat weird so I measured the distance from ground to wheel well opening and it was off by 1 inch so I backed off of the left side and she sits preety good now I did notice that th front now sits about 3/4 inch higher than before but it drives the same a little stiffer but not much . My wife hit a gaurd rail with it a while back could this have fu**ed it up underneath somehow or is this normal ?? Any one mind peeking under there trucks to see if they are supposed to be even ? thanks again /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. 89K1500Chevy

Yes and what I did was count the # of threads showing on the bolts and from the ground to the bottom of IFS I got 15" on both sides even. Make sure you do that on level ground too or it could be off. They should be even unless you like ridin a little lower to left and higher on right /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

7. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

the bolts aren't going to be even. thats juts they way they come from the factory. just make sure the suspension sits even...measure from the center of the center cap to the bottom lip of the fender well. that way you get the direct measurement of spring height/suspension. if you measure from the ground, you'll need to take into account tire psi.

8. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the heads up .I never even concidered tire psi?? Man this site rocks you guys are awesome ..later today I will double check it to make sure shes level . /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 89K1500Chevy

thats odd mine are even and the tire psi is even. they could be not even if one of the bars was saggin and need to be tighten to stay level. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

10. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

On my way home from work today I popped into the local chevy dealer and peeked under a few trucks .Low and behold some were even and some were off set .So I went into the shop and aked a tech why this was so .At first he gave me a puzzled look till I explained myself .He said that over time some of the bars will sag at different rates and that there really is no preset for them other than ride height and quality He told me that on ocasion a customer will come in complaining of a spongy ride and or the truck drifting into the road on bumps so they just do what you guys suggested to just set them till the truck sits level and thats about it but he did say that as long as they were within 1/2 inch of eacho ther that they would be fine..Thanks all for the helpful info /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. finnd

finnd Registered Member

make sure to do a realignement after any change to the torsion bars as they will through off your camber tow-in & caster.