Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

i know this is the wrong post but it gets more traffic............but any ways, my dad just bought a 2001 z71 and want to get a suspention liftlike 4-6 inches, why i don't know he hates lifted trucks, what does he need to get if he gets a lift on it, drive shaft?....so maby some one here can help me......

high

2. FatBoyBlazer

also how high can he go without voiding te warrenty?????

high

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

as far as the warrenty goes as long as he takes it to a shop that the dealer okays. With a 4 or 6" lift i think verything is included, i know on some of the 88 to 98 you need a exhaust pipe bent cus your crossmenber gets dropped right in it's path so it route it out of the way. just my .02

<font color=red>It's not what you drive, but what drives you</font color=red>( Or is it what you work on,lol)
    <font color=orange> 1955 willy's on a 1977 blazer chassis </font color=orange>

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Most 4" suspensions leave the warranty intact. For the lift, I've heard nothing but good things about Superlift IFS kits. They sell what is probably the most complete kit on the market, but they do cost - Take a look here, there's some good info on them <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/chevygmc2.htm>http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/chevygmc2.htm</A>

<font color=red>What would Brian Boitano Do?</font color=red>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

5. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

just so you know you can get a two inch lift for free, well sort of my dad just got a knew z71 and put 33's on it but the didn't fit so one of his mechanic friends at the dealer told him that the torsion(i think) bars can be adjusted when he did it it made the ride a little stiffer but sure enough it rides an inch or two higher and the tire now fit...

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

One nasty side effect of cranking up the torsion bars is that there is no downward travel left in the suspension once you do this. So the inside front tire tends to lift in hard corners. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

7. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

your right about that but we haven't had any problems as of yet, but then again we didn't go as far up as the bars allow. but now it actually feels like a four wheel drive

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Another down side to the torsion bars cranking is it will destroy CV joints easier because they're at a steeper angle and it will void your warrenty if you do it too much.

NO AFTERMARKET PART WILL EVER VOID YOUR WARRENTY UNLESS IT DIRECTLY CAUSES WHATEVER THE PROBLEM IS. So, if you put an aftermarket oil pan on your engine and it leaks and your motor throws a rod, obviously they won't warrenty it. It's the law that they must prove that the aftermarket pan had a hole in it or otherwise caused it though.

If it's autotrac it will need a new front driveshaft most likely, that's what all the books say. My buddies that have lifted 88-98s have the 6" Pro-Comp and love everything except that they had to pay $3000 and leave their truck somewhere for two weeks to get it installed.

If I had IFS I wouldn't waste my money on a 4". Just go 6". It's about the same price.

If your dad doesn't like the $3k price with installation, it's body lift time!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

9. FatBoyBlazer

i think he might get a 6 inch......and he though that it would be more than a 1,500 but i thinkhe might have my brothers friend put the lift on he does it on the side.....he gotta prety nice............ i mean big ford f-350(20010 long bed dual wheels, four doors...and a 6 inch lift...big

high

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Aftermarket parts won't necessarily "void" your warranty, but the dealers can make it so difficult for you that it may as well be void. It also depends on what parts you're talking about. Little stuff like filters, brake parts, stock-replacement-type stuff is covered under the Magnuson-Moss law. Now bigger stuff like lift brackets, aftermarket brakes, modified factory parts, falls into a different category. When you alter the design of the vehicle (LIFT), they can get away with denying you warranty coverage because the vehicle is no longer in it's "factory" state. I've heard the excuse (someone else's lifted truck, at the dealer) "Hey, I wasn't trained how to deal with these lift brackets! They're not GM!". You could probably take it to court, but unless you've got a super-lawyer who works cheap, you'll probably get legal'ed to death in a courtroom by a corporate legal defense team who gets paid 6 or 7 figures to WIN for the company.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

11. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

There is a kit made by RCD for that truck that is probably the best on the market right now. It lifts the truck with sprindles instead of lowering everything. Alot of dealerships here in Phx. have been installing this kit on there new trucks. Macromotive.com sells them online, take a look.

GOT ROCKS?