Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition and carb

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 70jimmy, Mar 28, 2000.

1. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I am sick of points and am planning on going to HEI. Any advice on which system to go with. Use stock HEI and rebuild it or is aftermarket better. Also changing carbs. Advice on 4 barrel vs 2 barrel for wheeling. I want to do both swaps myself. Vehicle is a 70 jimmy 350 with 350 turbo and 205 transfer. Thanks

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

When I converted my dist on my 72 I bought the MSD 8360 dist. I doesn't require running a box to get the benifits of MSD ignition and it droped right in. I like having the coil seporate from the dist. that is why I don't like HEI.
    just another option for ya.
    Later
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

3. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I just dropped in an Accell blueprint HEI distributor this weekend. It works great and only ran me $150 at Summit. Go for the four barrel, I've got an Edelbrock Performer on mine, but I think that a quadrajet might bne better for wheeling, plus they're better on gas.

4. snidgen

snidgen Registered Member

why not just convert your points to a magnetic set up?
    I did it with a crane cams set up out of jegs catalog. only 100.00 with brain worked great. as for the carb go with edelbrock they rule four barrel 600 cfm manual choke

5. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I put an Accel Blueprint HEI unit in my '73 that originally had points. I don't remember where I read it, maybe from "HOT ROD" mag, but the non-HEI ignition circuit uses smaller amperage wiring than the stock HEI circuit. To get the full benifit, I ran a seperate ignition switch for the HEI. It was easy and also works as a theft deterrent. It will crank all day, but no juice.

6. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

70Jimmy...first off to drop an HEI in that 70 will yeild a few problems...one is that the darn firewall will be to darn close to the HEI cap and every time you hit a good bump it will knock the cap off and kill the truck! My first K5ish truck was a 72 Jimmy...been there done that. I think the easiest way to go about it is to buy an IGNITOR system...LMC truck sells them for $99 bux...it bolts right into your stock dist. !!!! LMC truck...1-800-222-5664.....catalog number 19...page 80. Hope this helps!

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban