Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition Catastrophe (Update)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jacob_coulter, Nov 5, 2005.

1. jacob_coulter

jacob_coulter Registered Member

Okay, I replaced the ignition switch on the column, put the rod in the proper hole and mounted the switch, and the car started right up, and the key "kicked back" like it's supposed to. I thought I was home free.

But now, the car wont turn off. The key just freewheels again, this time with the car running. I dropped the column and pulled the ignition rod back (towards the driver) with a pair of pliers to shut it off. It's like the key is a one way switch, I can get the car started, but when I turn the key back, it keeps running. It's almost as if the switch's tension is too much, and the rod breaks free from the key cylinder. I have to manually pull the rod back with the pliers to turn the car off, then I can start it again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Jacob

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

may want to look at the ignition rack and see if anything is broken in there

3. jacob_coulter

jacob_coulter Registered Member

Is the ignition rack within the steering column, behind the turn signal switch?

Thanks

4. DFR

DFR Registered Member

behind the key cylinder you will see where it turns a rod with teeth on them, this is where the rod would run to, sounds like the rode has come off, or spring for return has come loose.