Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition coil

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bri's88Jimmy, Oct 7, 2000.

1. Bri's88Jimmy

Bri's88Jimmy Registered Member

I have an 88 jimmy 350ci TBI. I'm trying to instal a tach I've figured out ware all the other wires go it was not hard, but I cant find the negative side of the ignition coil let alone the ignition coil itself. I have a haynes repair manual for my truck and it says its on top of the distributer but I cant find it. I only see the spark plug wires. Can any body help?

Thanks in advance Brian

2. Dave

Dave Registered Member

Follow the center wire off of the distributor car. It leads directly to the coil. If I remember right, it's about 6 inches from the cap.

Dave Hiller
    90 K-5 87 K-5, 84 K-15, 96 9c1 - Please don't slow down in front of me!

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I think in between the #7 AND #2 wires, maybe the maybe the #1 and #2, on the distributor, under the coil cap, there are terminals, one says BATT one says TACH. It will say on top. This is where you would plug in your tachometer. Hope this made sense, I'm fighting the flu right now.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

4. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>If it is an HEI cap (which it probably is, is your coil is on top of the cap?), then is is next to the hot wire. On the side of the distributor cap, where the power wire and ground go, there should be one that says tach. - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

5. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

87 and newer have remote coil hei systems its to the right side directly in front of the coil by the throttle bracket,Id replace the coil with a blaster MSD if I were you.