Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition coils going bad

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CyberSniper, Nov 10, 2004.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've killed 3 ignition coils in less than a year.

First one died last Thanksgiving break on my way back to school.

Second one died this spring in like March. Cost me $60 to get towed home 3 miles because I didn't have a spare on me (lent it to a friend).

Third one died this morning just before I put it in gear to go to school.

What could be causing them to fail so fast?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Just a guess--do they have the words "Hencho En Mexico" or "Made In China" stamped on them??.I have seen quite a few bite the dust at my friends shop in the past few years too,when he hardly ever changed one at all before--and most of them were name brands like Standard,Wells,etc.Maybe a bad ground at the strap dewhickey could be a factor(a few we changed had none,someone must have left it off),but I think its just the quality of many parts in general are poor nowadays,from forigen countries who dont like us much,or care if we get stranded on the side of the road. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I had one that I hit the cap with something while mad , and then when I tried it again the damn thing started . That one did that every morning for awhile after I acidentally found out . Its my trail spare now /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Have you chacked to see if you are getting a voltage drop from start to run-like its supposed to do? Full 12 volts constantly will fry a coil. My K5 coil is a Delco Remy-no idea how old it is, but it still works. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I had that going on in my car found out that it was not properly grounded, after I foun a good ground never had another problem with it. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Have you chacked to see if you are getting a voltage drop from start to run-like its supposed to do? Full 12 volts constantly will fry a coil. My K5 coil is a Delco Remy-no idea how old it is, but it still works. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cause it's good old quality shiznit made in Anderson, Indiana. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. CyberSniper

That only applies to points and condensor inductive ignition systems.

HEI likes as much voltage as it can get. There is no ballast resistor on HEI. The reason for a ballast resistor on points systems is to limit the current to around two amps (about the most points will take before getting crisy-crittered). Normal HEI uses about 4 amps.

8. CyberSniper

I think I might have this problem. It's going to require further investigation.

9. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Also, check the spark plug (and coil wire, if equipped) for excessive resistance. Too much resistance will overheat and destroy the coil. I cant recall the specs, im going to make a ballpark guess. I think, by manufacturer specs, no wire should have more than 15k ohms. Of course that varies by length and product. Check with the coil manufacturer for their required specifications.
    Check the coil lead wires for corrosion and a good connection. Make sure the ground wire is connected well (HEI), or the coil is securely mounted to the block (remote), and that there is a good ground (to coil and engine block). Hope this may be of help.
    Randy