Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition cylinder replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by anatomiczero, Jan 16, 2003.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If I were you I'd call a local lock shop. They'll be able to tell you exactly how much one is for your vehicle, and that it will fit. That one looks correct, but they had at least two different cylinders fopr the trucks, probably more. (based on year)

You can follow the tilt column tightening procedure to get down to the lock cylinder, it's an easy swap.

Is your key worn down? Worn keys but a good lock cylinder can cause problems too. If you can, you might take it down to the lock shop so that they can verify it's shot.

3. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

I agree with Dorian. Go to a lockshop and get the key checked first and if it's just a key needed it'll only cost about 6 bux. They probably charge about 12 bux for a new ignition cylinder if one is needed, same as the ebay price. Not sure if yours has a screw retainer, as the one on ebay, or if you just have a spring clip retainer, but the lockshop will know.