Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition help FAST!!! **Update**

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hossbaby50, May 12, 2002.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ok, got home from college and the truck won't start.

I am not getting fire to the plugs. At first I thought the MSD box may have fried the stock coil. But I put in my new MSD Blaster SS coil and tried to start the truck. Still no fire.

First question, what exactly needs to be hooked up to an exterior coil? Positive and Negative power, coil wire, anything else? (i have tried a hot lead from the battery to the coil on the positive side).

Second what else beside the coil could cause the no start in the igniton system? My truck no longer has an igntion module because of the MSD box. The distributor cap & rotor are 2 months old.(MSD)

My parents started my truck a couple weeks ago, but now it won't fire. It cranks, and I can hear fule go when I move the throttle cables.

Also my truck has an MSD 6 offroad box, MSD blaster ss coil (not sure it is hooked up right), MSD cap & rotor, MSD wires.

Thanks for any help.

Harley

Update below

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Re: Ignition help FAST!!!

Maybe check the 12v ign on wire to see if ya blew a fuse on the fuse panel ...mike I have the off road box too...When you put in the box that takes the place of the old wires that were on the old coil ( I think they -from the box were orange and black ) and the coil wire was all )

3. Hossbaby50

Also I forgot to mention that I am changing from an incap coil to an external coil, and using the HEI dust cover to get the power from the coil to the cap.

Also the old coil had 3 hookups on it. Orange, black, a the middle grounding wire. I have the ground wire hooked up to the coil, and have tried both the orange and black wire by themselves on the +, and then I tried both on the + but neither worked. I am about to go check fuses and body and engine grounds.

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

5. Hossbaby50

Ok, I just tried to see if my coil was giving off power, and I don't think it is. I hooked a spark plug up to the other end of my coil wire, and I got no power going threw it. No spark. Not sure if that way works though.

6. Hossbaby50

I have the new coil wired like this. The orange wire is on +, the black is on -, and the middle wire from the old coil is wired to a rad support ground point. Is this right?

7. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I don't have the hei and am not sure about the ground to the radiator core ..I would send a pm to Philly87 he is a msd tech he helped mw with mine...

8. Hossbaby50

Ya, thats what I am going to do later. He has helped me out alot with stuff before. He is acutally how I got my Blaster SS. My old coil (MSD) went south, and he replaced it. Thanks

9. Hossbaby50

Ok, I think I have it narrowed down to the pickup coil in the distributor. How hard is it, and what is involved in its replacement. Thanks

Harley

10. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

this all sounds so foreign to me!!! i need to learn.

11. Hossbaby50

Me too. I got a real big crash coarse in igntion systems today. It is even worse with the MSD because I didn't install it, and I am trying to figure out everything on it and what goes where. I am pretty familiar now though. It is a good lesson, and glad I am learing it now and not when I am on the side of some mountain 100 from anywhere.

12. Hossbaby50

The Beast lives!!! I got the pickup coil changed today and she fired right up. It was a PITA though. It took me awhile to get the new pickup coil in the distributor. I was using the Chilton's manual, and was going threw the steps for replacement. I got to a step that said "Drive out roll pin". I couldn't find this roll pin to save my ass. I spent an hour trying to find this roll pin. Nothing, so I call a buddy, and we looked, and finally said screw it and we ripped the whole distributor out. What do we find. The roll pin that was to be removed was on the distributor gear. In the directions for the pickup coil replacement, it left out one very important step for replacement. REMOVE THE DISTRIBUTOR!!! It never said to pull the Dist. in the directions, anywhere. What a PITA and waste of time. Oh well, she is running, and that is what matters. Sorry for the rant.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Glad too hear it's up and running.