Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition Help Please, FAST!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, May 12, 2002.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ok, got home from college and the truck won't start.

I am not getting fire to the plugs. At first I thought the MSD box may have fried the stock coil. But I put in my new MSD Blaster SS coil and tried to start the truck. Still no fire.

First question, what exactly needs to be hooked up to an exterior coil? Positive and Negative power, coil wire, anything else? (i have tried a hot lead from the battery to the coil on the positive side).

Second what else beside the coil could cause the no start in the igniton system? My truck no longer has an igntion module because of the MSD box. The distributor cap & rotor are 2 months old.(MSD)

My parents started my truck a couple weeks ago, but now it won't fire. It cranks, and I can hear fule go when I move the throttle cables.

Also my truck has an MSD 6 offroad box, MSD blaster ss coil (not sure it is hooked up right), MSD cap & rotor, MSD wires.

Thanks for any help.

Harley

2. Hossbaby50

Please see post in the Tech forum. Thanks

3. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Have you checked the cap and rotor themselves? I had the same thing happen with an MSD box and 8mm wires-no power. I took off the cap and the middle of the cap had melted and the rotor tip and middle had melted as well. Evidently the wires were plugging the flow of voltage. Hope that helps??

4. Hossbaby50

I have heard of that happening. I am going to pull the cap later today (didn't want to because its a PITA) but I think it might be the in cap pickup, crank trigger or maybe the cap melted like yours. Not real sure though. I do have the MSD superconductor wires though (8.5mm super low resistence) so I kinda think that isn't the problem. Thanks alot.

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

if you have Hei it will shoot (burn) through your rotor cap and then all your fire goes down your distributor. this will stop all fire to the plugs. if thats the case a new rotor will hook you up
    hope it helps

nathan