Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brad, Apr 1, 2000.

1. Brad

Brad Registered Member

What's the good, bad, and ugly of aftermarket ignitions?(MSD, Jacob's, Accel...) How much is really worth purchasing? Thanks--Brad

2. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Picked up an Accel Super Coil for my H.E.I. (new) for 25 bones at Hotrod Supernationals. 76' K/5, I like it,especially for the price.

3. Brad

Brad Registered Member

Do you notice any difference in the performance compared to you stock setup?

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I've heard that Jacobs really gives you power, but you'll have to use their warranty too often because they simply die more often than the other brands.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

5. I went with MSD, Coil, box, wires and delco rapid fire plugs. I noticed some what of a diffrence but not major. I can tell when I punch it, espically up a hill, it just pulls and seems to do better on gas, I guess now a days that's a major diffrence. Good thing also was that it was easy to install.
    <font color=red>ABO</font color=red>

6. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I bought a jacobs team pack with the super coil, wires and ign. box. The wires are bullet proof. The ign. box anti-theft device would kill the engine at odd moments, on the expressway, at a light, other interesting places. I unplugged it out of the circuit and noticed no difference with just the coil and wires. The coil did help starting and cured a lope at idle that I had. Jacobs techs gave me several lines of c.y.a. type baloney about the box problem. I finally said screw it and run the coils and wires. I never saw a mileage increase. If it helped power, it was not enough to feel.
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.