Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition Key Tumbler worn

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lehtola, Apr 3, 2001.

1. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

can anyone crank your vehicles without a key? I realized that I could the other day. I need to replace the worn tumblers and have the new one rekeyed...fortunately I have the original key code that I got from my local dealer after I asked them if it was possible. since I have a 90 model they said that information is available. what is the next step in getting my new ignition key tumbler and does anyone know what the part number is? Also...getting it keyed. they said I had to go to a locksmith...is that right or can I key it myself? What about installation? I'm gonna have to take off the steering wheel but once that is done...what else? Lots of questions...

1990 GMC Jimmy 350/TH700R4/NP241/10 bolts, 4" skyjacker lift, 35x12.50R15 BFG All Terrains on 15x10 AR Baja's, Flowmasters.

2. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

just get a new key cylinder from a parts store. it'll come with new keys. you could even go to the chevy dealer and pay more to get a gm product.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

3. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

I want to keep the original key code.

1990 GMC Jimmy 350/TH700R4/NP241/10 bolts, 4" skyjacker lift, 35x12.50R15 BFG All Terrains on 15x10 AR Baja's, Flowmasters.

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Replacing the ignition key is simple. You'll need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate remover. Disconnect the battery, pull the steering wheel disconnect the horn wire (1/4 turn and it pops out of the socket). With the lock plate remover, screw the center protion on the remover over the steering shaft stud and run the jam nut down to compress the lock plate. I found using a small pick helps in getting the retaining snap ring out of the groove and then pull it up the shaft and then off. Keep track of this little jewel. Remove the lock plate puller and lock plate. Remove the three screws that hold the turn signal plate and the screw that hold the lever. Move the plate out of the way. At about the 3 o'clock position on the steering column, there is a large #1 phillips screw and just above that is a smaller #2 phillips screw (they just about touch). Turn the ignition switch to run, remove the #2 phillips screw (ignition tumbler retaining screw) and pull out on the ignition switch. Installation is the reverse order of these steps. If it was me, I would take it to a parts store and get a new ignition tumbler (comes with new keys). By the way, my key pulls out with the ignition on. I had the rear window lock re-keyed last year, cost me $15 to have it done at a locksmith. Shouldn't be more than that to have the ignition redone.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Wheels on 04/03/01 06:08 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you can start it without a key, I don't believe it's the "tumblers" I second the opinion to just buy a new lock cylinder. There is no reason not to since thats the only lock that key fits. You can get original GM keys (and likely cylinder)from any REAL locksmith. The instructions for replacement above are good.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

6. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

Who can re-key the new lock cylinder with the original key code?

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Locksmith should be able to do that as well...heck, if you are determined to use your old lock cylinder, they may just be able to "rebuild" it..probably pay through the nose, but I bet its possible

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

8. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

Yes, a Locksmith can rebuild it for more cost, and cut original keys for the ign from your code. But why spend the extra bux when you can pick up another cylinder with 2 keys for $15?

83K5 Silverado
    What was that bump?