Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ignition lock cylinder removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mechted, Dec 26, 2003.

1. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

Ok, on a 1978 C20 how do you remove ignition cylinder?
    POS Chiltons maunal says
    "3. Insert a small drift pin into the turn signal housing slot. Keeping the drift pin to the right side of the slot, break the housing flash loose and deoress the spring latch at the lower end of the lock cylinder. Remove lock cylinder"

but the diagram it shows looks nothing like mine, and I have no idea what to break... Im hoping someone with a service manual could look it up and help me out. Thanks in advance
    (Std 4 speed column)

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

im quessing you have the steering wheel off, correct?
    there is eighter a screw holding the cylinder or a spring loaded clip that holds it in (my 78 had the clip) just push the clip down with a little screw driver and pry the cylinder out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mechted

Ok, well there isnt any clip
    (Yes I have the wheel and locking plate off)
    Went out to a junkyard to learn on a vehicle i didnt care about breaking, and found out that all of the trucks there had metal housings, yet mine is plastic?
    So do I have a replaced column or ???

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

haha 78 were oen of a kind, haha

73-77
    then 78

and then 79-87

there were three types of lock cylidner retainment in GM column, lock screw in which is most common, clips, second common, and then small hole for thin wire, third common and least seen, at least in my shoes anyways and i have been inside a ton of cars and trucks columns, 73-up

the oens with small hole for wire are tricky as heck to get figured out, the lock cylinder has to be in certain position before inserting wire and you have to turn the cylinder a certain direction and for only so far before it will pull out of housing

the metal ones may not be plastic, but they arent much better, they are light cast aluminum, not much harder to break really.

good luck

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

haha the one in my 87 s-10 is either broke or removed..(probobly broke lol), never need a key for it, guess its kinda a good thing in some ways..and in some ways not..

6. mechted

Yeah, thats how my current one is, so stripped out that you dont need a key to start the vehicle... you also dont need to depress the clutch to start the vehicle... but that may be another problem altogether

Im thinking of taking a soldering iron to the plastic case and melting out the section that Chiltons says to break out... just hope I know the right section

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've had quite a few columns apart, but mainly later ('78+) cars and trucks. All I've ever dealt with were plastic up where the turn signal was, lower exterior piece which is where the shifter is mounted on automatics, is cast metal on all I've seen. My floor shift column is this way.

Anyways, I'll second the bit about a screw holding it in place. After you get the turn signal switch out of the way, if there is a phillips head screw (inside the column still) just above the lock cylinder, thats what you pull to remove it.

Again, never seen one that the others describe, but doesn't mean they aren't right.

Chiltons means casting flash from my reading of what you posted, so if it's not casting flash, don't melt it. 9 times out of 10, if you aren't sure, you realize the mistake after its too late. You don't want to have to try and replace one of those pieces.

Never seen a place to sell column parts (whole columns only) and if they are good only for parts, it's because the piece you talk about is broken from a theft.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

alot of us come across trucks with columns that they would part out, ive personally scrapped a ton of complete nice columns in the past that i would have gladly parted for someone,

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you sold complete columns for $20 online, I speculate you would never run out of customers.

Perhaps it comes from living in an area that is "the city". Perhaps it is because our trucks and cars here don't tend to rust out leaving only the interior, mainly plastic pieces intact. (couldn't resist lol) But seriously, speaking from my LOCAL experience, no one will part out good columns. Many things here are like that.

For instance, local yard crushed a 465 with hydraulic bellhousing that they couldn't sell, instead of selling me just the bellhousing (or together at a very reduced rate) I had asked about 50 times. "we don't seperate bellhousings"

10. mechted

this project is now on hold till i get more info, decided that i would probably break it if i tried, so ill wait

at least i got to fix my left turn signal cancel spring while i was in there /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If you sold complete columns for $20 online, I speculate you would never run out of customers.

Perhaps it comes from living in an area that is "the city". Perhaps it is because our trucks and cars here don't tend to rust out leaving only the interior, mainly plastic pieces intact. (couldn't resist lol) But seriously, speaking from my LOCAL experience, no one will part out good columns. Many things here are like that.

For instance, local yard crushed a 465 with hydraulic bellhousing that they couldn't sell, instead of selling me just the bellhousing (or together at a very reduced rate) I had asked about 50 times. "we don't seperate bellhousings"

[/ QUOTE ]

well yards wont part columns, hell they wont evne sell you steering wheel off a column, they want minimum 75 bucks for a column, but someone like me would part out a column, we waste billions of them