Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ignition lock cylinder replacement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigoltrux77, Dec 22, 2002.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

i need to replace the ignition lock on my 77 blazer. I have no clue how. What is the easiest way to go about changing this. Mine is all mucked up and the chrome cap that turns the key broke off, so now all the force is going to the key and its bending the key. Is there an easier way to temporarily fix this? thanks alot! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. manyblazers

manyblazers Registered Member

Hey it's not too tough to do. Pull off the horn button. Remove that large nut and the three screws holding the horn contacts on. Get a steering wheel puller and get that wheel off. Careful though. Sometimes it sticks till you get you face in the way and then it lets go. Push down on the cap that fills the column around the centre splined shaft the wheel came off of. As you push down you'll see a little ring that has to be removed. I used two small screw drivers to do this but I imagine there must be a tool that does this. After you remove that cap you should see the turn signal piece. Remove that and then you'll see the lock cylinder. Take out the large screw at the top of it and it will slide right out. Have fun.